Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 vortec questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0 vortec questions

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum and to the ls1 engine. I am about to start a motor build for my datsun 240z. I have decided to use a late model chevrolet v8 as my powerplant. I would like to build a 6.0 vortec motor but am confused as to which one to use. I have found iron block motors with iron heads for as little as 600 dollars on ebay. And I have found iron block aluminum head motors on ebay for as little as 800 dollars. But I have also found similar motors for as much as 4,000 dollars. Is there a certain year 6.0 engine that is better than one another? And as far as parts interchangability goes, I have heard that the 5.3 liter aluminum heads are a cheap way to gain power on LS1 engines. Is this also true for 6.0 engines? And could the aluminum heads be swapped to an iron head 6.0? Why are the 5.3 heads an improvement over ls1 heads? Do they raise compression, are the runners bigger, are the valves bigger. I know I have asked many questions and some of these questions could probably be answered by searching this site for a couple of hours. But if anybody wants to answer some of these questions for me, that would be great. Thanks, everyone.