Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Well, the Z is toast!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 12:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Well, the Z is toast!

Yep, flipped thats sucker over two times tonight on the way home from a friends in Toms River. Just where the parkway splits off for the 98 exits, must have rained a bit. Hit the gas, sidways she went, and next thing I knew, two (I think) rolls and I was back on the wheels. Somehow the the doors got locked in the process but when I unlocked the door, I stepped right out. Airbags went off, pass. T-top is blown out, hood is folded in half, core support pushed almost to the motor, pass. quater panel is bashed in a foot, front wheel is blown to peices, rear bumper cover flew off, steering wheel folded in half, etc, etc.

Luckily I was wearing my seatbelt and got out unharmed, literally, two small scratches. Really amazing how well GM designed these cars, I think I'm going to send them a thank you letter for this one. I got off way easy on this, without a doubt.

Be careful out there everyone, these things can happen in a second and you're just along for the ride.

Anyway, long enough night for me, I'm going to bed!
Old 11-07-2005, 04:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Holy **** Pete !!!! That sucks, atleast your OK though.
That cars been in quite a few fender benders, maybe it was just it's time .

You looking to get into another one or take some time away frome fbodys ?

Well glad your alright.

mike
Old 11-07-2005, 05:13 AM
9 Second Club

Somebody was watching over you,Glad you are alright man.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:51 AM
Launching!

man that sucks, thats good that your ok. and ya the the General does a pretty good job with keeping its drivers safe.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:06 AM
10 Second Club

I think the seat belt was a big factor.. Glad to hear you are ok.. And sorry about the car.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:09 AM
11 Second Club

Bummer.. time for a nicer car!

Originally Posted by Pete2k_Z28
Yep, flipped thats sucker over two times tonight on the way home from a friends in Toms River. Just where the parkway splits off for the 98 exits, must have rained a bit. Hit the gas, sidways she went, and next thing I knew, two (I think) rolls and I was back on the wheels. Somehow the the doors got locked in the process but when I unlocked the door, I stepped right out. Airbags went off, pass. T-top is blown out, hood is folded in half, core support pushed almost to the motor, pass. quater panel is bashed in a foot, front wheel is blown to peices, rear bumper cover flew off, steering wheel folded in half, etc, etc.

Luckily I was wearing my seatbelt and got out unharmed, literally, two small scratches. Really amazing how well GM designed these cars, I think I'm going to send them a thank you letter for this one. I got off way easy on this, without a doubt.

Be careful out there everyone, these things can happen in a second and you're just along for the ride.

Anyway, long enough night for me, I'm going to bed!
Old 11-07-2005, 06:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry to hear man! That definitely sux ***! Someone was definitely watching over you though.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Yeah Mike I agree, that car was starting to show it's age, but this isn't how I planned to replace her!!!!

As for replacing her, we'll see what happens. I still owe money on the car and quite frankly getting out of debt right now would be very nice. I'll probably just find a good beater and drive that for a while. As most of you have noticed most likely, I havn't been very active in the LS1 scene for the last couple of years, partly due to financial reasons, and partly because I've been pursuing other interests.

I'm still a car guy down to the bone, always will be, but right now I'm thinking this (and the fact that I got out of the car 5 seconds later with a scratch) might be a good opportunity to look at more practical realities like buying a house or something since the money I should get from insurance should cover a lot of my debt.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad you are ok. what a scarey moment. were you drunk? messing around, racing? you get any tickets?
Old 11-07-2005, 07:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a couple earlier, but it was spread out over a few hours. I wouldn't say it was a factor at all. Normally I have a little fun there since it's almost a mile long and perfectly straight, so it wasn't anything out of the ordinary for me to do.

Amazingly enough, no I didn't even get a ticket (yet). In fact, I barely spoke to the cop. He took my stuff, asked me what happened, still being in a bit of shock I just gave him the cliffnotes version, hell I wasn't even 100% sure of what happened at that point, my old man showed up, I got in the car with him, they gave me my stuff back and left. I was expecting the usual Spanish Inquisition but nothing.

Well, off to work, thanks again for the replies, and WEAR YOUR DAMN SEATBELTS EVERYONE!!!!!
Old 11-07-2005, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Glad to hear your okay. I had a friend flip his car on the way home from his uncles one night. Hit a patch of black ice doing 60 and wam 5x it flipped. It's not fun to think of the what if's. But yeah anyways glad to hear your okay man

What's happening with the car? Where is it going and everything do you know??
Old 11-07-2005, 09:42 AM
11 Second Club

HOLY CRAP PETE!!!!!!! Im so glad youre ok! That sounds super scary!!!!
Old 11-07-2005, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

wow... that blows. at least you're alright
Old 11-07-2005, 11:43 AM
Launching!

That sucks about the car, but cars can be replaced.You cant be. Glad you made it out okay.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

Give new meaning to the term "Rolling Chassis"

Glad to hear you're OK.

Marc
Old 11-07-2005, 03:20 PM
10 Second Club

Exclamation

Holy chit Pete, that could've been 'the one'. Glad you're ok dude and I agree that these cars are far safer than they're even given credit for, not the first time I've heard of people walking away after rolling them.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:23 PM
Coach Purse Queen

I've been the driver and unfortunate 'other car' in 7 accidents I didn't cause. Two rear-ends, and one hit from each area (each corner, once in the immediate front). Never have I NOT worn my seatbelt when I get in a car as a driver OR a passenger. Thanks to that, it's only been whiplash, air-bag burns, and serious shoulder issues from the airbag deploying and throwing my arms back.

Glad to hear you were ok! Always good news!
Old 11-07-2005, 04:33 PM

Glad to hear your alright. You can replace the car.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks again everyone. After looking at the car today (and not having such a rattled cage like I did last night when I posted 2 hours after...) I'm not sure I rolled, and if I did, it either tumbled or just flipped in the air and landed sticky side down. The roof is untouched. More than anything I'm pretty sure I just pinballed it between the two guardrails. You just can't understand how disoriented you become in that situation.

At any rate, the insurance company is taking the car tomorrow and hopefully I'llh ave a buyback price and a payout price by weeks end. I'm pretty sure that the motor/trans are fine, the nitrous line is ripped and the purge solenoid is completely ripped off and on the side of the parkway somewhere. If the buyback is cheap enough, I'll probably buy it back, take out the motor and trans, part out the very few remaining good parts (I even broke the steering wheel and driver seat!) and go on from there.

:worship: Seatbelts!
Old 11-07-2005, 09:08 PM
10 Second Club

I hear the ls1/t56 combo fit pretty nicely in 3rd gen RX7's.