Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Ram Clucth...so far so good!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 08:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up Ram Clucth...so far so good!

Finally installed my Ram powergrip clutch last week and so far so good.

I was very concerned about the pedal release point and getting the new master bleed and working properly but it was no big deal at all. Heres what all I did.

I had the factory flywheel turned, did the drill mod, installed a ram adj. master, a ram powergrip PP and disk, also installed the slave cylinder spacer that ram makes along with royal purple fluid.

Once it was all back to together I only cracked the bleeder on the slave a couple time while a friend held the pedal and then adjusted the pedal release height with the adj. master and I was all set.

After a couple heat cycles from a couple days driving, I took it out over the weekend and beat on it a little and let me tell ya. That bitch grabs! The burnt factory clutch was letting a lot of power slip away. I’m very happy with it so far. The only thing is there is a little shudder if you try and slip the clutch and take off real slow. It certainly prefers to just grab and go. I’m planning on hitting the track this Friday to see how it runs if the weather stays nice.

Also I installed a poly trans mount when re-installing the tranny. I have very mixed reviews on that. Im leaning toward removing it in favor of the factory one. The poly mount transfers all kinds of vibration/noise into the car. But on the other hand when I hit bumps now the whole car/drivetrain feels very solid and the shifter never move at all. I have read of people not using the preload plate and grinding the bumps off but the manufacture specifically says to use the preload plate?

So anyhow we will see how long it lasts!
Old 11-07-2005, 12:38 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much power are you making to the wheels?
Old 11-07-2005, 01:04 PM
12 Second Club

It made 348 about 2 years ago on a trailer dyno at a car show. Thats was before a custom tune and emissions equipment removal(including cats).
Attached Thumbnails Ram Clucth...so far so good!-dyno.jpg  
Old 11-08-2005, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ssjunkie
Finally installed my Ram powergrip clutch last week and so far so good.

I was very concerned about the pedal release point and getting the new master bleed and working properly but it was no big deal at all. Heres what all I did.

I had the factory flywheel turned, did the drill mod, installed a ram adj. master, a ram powergrip PP and disk, also installed the slave cylinder spacer that ram makes along with royal purple fluid.

Once it was all back to together I only cracked the bleeder on the slave a couple time while a friend held the pedal and then adjusted the pedal release height with the adj. master and I was all set.

After a couple heat cycles from a couple days driving, I took it out over the weekend and beat on it a little and let me tell ya. That bitch grabs! The burnt factory clutch was letting a lot of power slip away. I’m very happy with it so far. The only thing is there is a little shudder if you try and slip the clutch and take off real slow. It certainly prefers to just grab and go. I’m planning on hitting the track this Friday to see how it runs if the weather stays nice.

Also I installed a poly trans mount when re-installing the tranny. I have very mixed reviews on that. Im leaning toward removing it in favor of the factory one. The poly mount transfers all kinds of vibration/noise into the car. But on the other hand when I hit bumps now the whole car/drivetrain feels very solid and the shifter never move at all. I have read of people not using the preload plate and grinding the bumps off but the manufacture specifically says to use the preload plate?

So anyhow we will see how long it lasts!
I am interested in a Ram clutch. Summit Racing has a Ram HD clutch. Ram claims it is good up to 600 hp. Is this the same one that you have?
Old 11-08-2005, 04:40 PM
12 Second Club

No I went with the straight powergrip. Not the HD model. That is the next model up from mine. If you go to rams web site the differences are explained pretty clearly.

also while im at it I will provide an update on the poly trans mount. After a few days I had pretty much gotten used to it, but decided to go ahead and put the factory one back just to make sure that is was caused the noise and vibration. Long story short it was. The car is back to the way it was. It sounds and feel the same again. I think I like the poly mount better even having the noise and vibration because of the solid feel in the car over a quite rides with the drivetrain bouncing around and the factory mount. I may try the poly mount without the preload bar just to see what happens.

John

Last edited by ssjunkie; 11-08-2005 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:42 PM
TECH Resident

I ruined my RAM clutch (still driveable but barely) by dumping it at 6k (I was stock then with crap tires). I'm pretty sure the pressure plate was bent and still is... everything else's been checked. I did pretty much exactly what you did except for the spacer - which needed to be put in after that dump in order for the clutch to come near full disengagement. Good clutch - just don't do insanely hard dumps on it and it should be very good to you after a nice breakin.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:52 PM
12 Second Club

I will be headed to the track on friday...but certaintly will not be needing to dump the clutch at 6K. I only have regular street tires. So anything 1500+ just induces spinning.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:56 PM
11 Second Club

Give the poly trans mount a few weeks and skip the preload plate and you won't even know it's there.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:17 PM
10 Second Club

i also installed mine and love it great job ram byy to spec forever!!
Old 11-11-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

The vibrations/noise will get better as the poly trans. mount breaks in. Trust me, I put one in, took it out a week later. Then when my Ypipe started hitting the floor board I put it in and decided I'd live with it. After a few thousand miles, i couldn't even notice the vibrations anymore. and people that rode in my car said they had nearly gone away too.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:40 AM
12 Second Club

Ok. I made it to the track last night. Clutch worked great. I made 6 passes and not a single problem. All is well!!!! Also a new best of 12.87!!!

Also I have settled on leaving the poly trans mount with out the preload plate and the nubs ground off. It is alot better than the rubber factory one but still not to harsh.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:01 PM
12 Second Club

Over another month and still no trouble...I have a feeling this clutch is going to last a while.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

cool
Old 01-08-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Junkie

how's the clutch holdin up ?
Old 01-09-2006, 10:55 AM
12 Second Club

Still going strong!
Old 01-09-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Junkie

cool, how's the driveability ? what about track time ?
Old 01-09-2006, 04:33 PM
12 Second Club

pedal pressure is close to stock...slightly harder.

It is certaintly harsher taking off than the stock clutch but nothing to complain about. Sometimes if you try and take off really slow it will shudder a little bit.

I never go to the track with anything other than my street tires so my 60's really didnt change any from when my stock clutch was working good.

Also another thing worth noting is I have not had the pedal stick to the floor since installing the new clutch and adj. master.

John
Old 01-10-2006, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good to hear a positive review on a clutch after hearing the nightmares with SPEC
Old 01-11-2006, 11:29 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the updates. Sounds like their master cylinder solved your pedal issues. How much was the master?
Old 01-11-2006, 01:24 PM
12 Second Club

im thinking the Ram adj. is around 160 from one of the sponsors-------->

Cant really say for sure what was causing the pedal issues(even after numerous threads on the subject) or what fixed it as I did a number of things at once...all i know is, its gone and im happy!

BTW...since the clutch install I have installed Jethot L/T's and still have no pedal issues!

John