Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Just want to thank you guys.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Built my own Amp Rack. Just want to thank you guys.

I got all my ideas from various members here to upgrade my system in my 2000 Z/28.
1.Stock Head unit (Monsoon with tape cassette because I use a portable
20GB hard drive/MP3 player with a tape adapter. I know, not the best but sounds terrific enough)
2.Replaced door speakers with the Alpine SP 170A's (mid base runs off monsoon amp and tweeters runs off head unit.)
3. The GMC-12C PAC unit for line out to subwoofer amp.
4. I built my own stealthbox with 10" sub and made my own AMP rack. Thanks to your links to subthump, I was able to mimmick their designs by picture. Cost me under 35.00 to make both pieces. Here are pics:

Raw wood construction
http://endeavorquest.net:8880/images...ofer board.jpg

Amp Rack Carpeted
http://endeavorquest.net:8880/images... finished2.jpg

My best bud and I installed the AMP, subwoofer and capacitor last night.
I used an SPL 10" 1200W DVC sub (550W RMS) and a SoundStorm 2 channel 1200 Watt AMP in Bridged Mono. WOW!!!!! does this little sub hit hard!!.

I will have pictures up tonight of the finished product.

EDIT: Finished product:
http://endeavorquest.net:8880/images...tallation1.jpg

The Blue RCA cable and Red Power Cables have to be extended so I can hide them completely. Just made it this way with the AMP kit cable lengths. Just not long enough. But other than that, all done and working great.
Time to wash her up and vacuum!!

Thanks again everyone!! You helped more than you know.

Keys

Last edited by Keysplayr; 11-19-2005 at 11:45 PM. Reason: More descriptive title.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

LOL!! Bunch of chatty guys n gals in here huh?

Peace.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:50 PM
Staging Lane

Very chatty.

Nice looking install, though
Old 11-08-2005, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

i didnt help you at all, but youre welcome
Old 11-09-2005, 07:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kraaazymike
i didnt help you at all, but youre welcome
hehe. Well, where were you when I needed it?
Next step is a Kenwood Excelon 789, MB Quart components for the doors, MB Quart 2-ways for the sail panels, SoundStorm 1200W 4 channel amp. And just maybe one of those Music Kegs from Kenwood. Small steps. Probably have it done by Spring. For now, it sounds Light Years better than it did. The monsoon amp has a blown right rear channel so the 6.5 sub is just sitting there lifeless in the sail panel. So I just disconnected them both.

One step at a time.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

Do you have any measurements or anything for the amp rack?
Old 11-17-2005, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SLPHawk300
Do you have any measurements or anything for the amp rack?
Sorry it took me so long to reply. Work has been a little crazy.
I used VISIO pro to make sort of a blueprint so I can provide you with that in a pdf doc if you want.

The only thing you need to pay close attention to is the curvature of the rear body panel on two planes.

For example, if you open the hatch, and look straight down at the rear body panel, its easy to see that it is arc'd or curved. Thats one plane. The other is if you were to open the hatch and squat down to make your eye level even with the height of the very top of the rear body panel, you will see it arc's as well, being higher in the center than the left and right sides.
This two plane arc is handled by the top piece of the amp rack. the lower piece that your amps/capacitor bolt onto is totally flat.

You should definately cut and fit your top piece first, then cut the lower piece to fit into the top piece nicely.

Here are the materials I used:

1 sheet of 2ft. x 4ft. x 1/2 inch plywood. (No need to buy a full 4x8 sheet)

1 can of 3M general spray adhesive. ( for carpeting finished product )

Elmers Carpenter's wood glue

6ft. x 4ft. black carpeting. ( I had a lot of trouble finally finding a place that sold this type of carpet or material. I finally found it at a PC Richards that had a install center around back. That is your best bet unless you know where you can get this yourself.)

Box of 1" brad nails or 4penny finishing nails are fine.

Staple gun with 1/2" staples

Hammer

Jig Saw

Give me a minute and I'll post a link to the drawing with measurements.

Here is the drawing and measurements "I used". Make sure you measure these measurements against your cars measurements

Last edited by Keysplayr; 11-17-2005 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Keysplayr
Sorry it took me so long to reply. Work has been a little crazy.
I used VISIO pro to make sort of a blueprint so I can provide you with that in a pdf doc if you want.

The only thing you need to pay close attention to is the curvature of the rear body panel on two planes.

For example, if you open the hatch, and look straight down at the rear body panel, its easy to see that it is arc'd or curved. Thats one plane. The other is if you were to open the hatch and squat down to make your eye level even with the height of the very top of the rear body panel, you will see it arc's as well, being higher in the center than the left and right sides.
This two plane arc is handled by the top piece of the amp rack. the lower piece that your amps/capacitor bolt onto is totally flat.

You should definately cut and fit your top piece first, then cut the lower piece to fit into the top piece nicely.

Here are the materials I used:

1 sheet of 2ft. x 4ft. x 1/2 inch plywood. (No need to buy a full 4x8 sheet)

1 can of 3M general spray adhesive. ( for carpeting finished product )

Elmers Carpenter's wood glue

6ft. x 4ft. black carpeting. ( I had a lot of trouble finally finding a place that sold this type of carpet or material. I finally found it at a PC Richards that had a install center around back. That is your best bet unless you know where you can get this yourself.)

Box of 1" brad nails or 4penny finishing nails are fine.

Staple gun with 1/2" staples

Hammer

Jig Saw

Give me a minute and I'll post a link to the drawing with measurements.

Here is the drawing and measurements "I used". Make sure you measure these measurements against your cars measurements

Wow, thanks alot bro!
Old 02-10-2008, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Does anyone have pictures of this setup? I would PM Keysplayer but he hasn't been online since Sept. of 07. So I don't think it would do any good.