Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Recomendations and second opinion

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam Recomendations and second opinion

So, Here are my mods, for my 2002 SS A4 daily driver, haven't installed yet b/c waiting for a cam. need to put them in the sig but o well:

-LS1 Ported and polished heads (not sure flow #'s, got off of the board) w/comp 918's.
-Pacesetter LT's coated w/catted Y Pipe (Texas Speed)
-Stock exhaust w/QTEC cutout
-Yank 2800 converter
-Powerdyne 6psi kit
-Walbro 255 in tank and 255 in line fuel pump
-42# injectors
-NGK TR6's w/MSD 8.5 wires
-TB bypass mod
-Smooth Bellows
-Strut Tower Brace

If I forgot something, uhhhhhhh, oops. So I visited Forcefed performance in Northern California who will most likely be dyno tuning my car, and he is incredibly knowledgable and came highly recommended. He explained that he prefferes a cam to have exhaust 80% of intake for F/I setups. He explained that this would vary slightly depending on my final setup, however he recommended this. I want to get a cam custom ground for my setup. Having emailed some sponsors for recommendations, none of the cams recommended even came close to this 80% exhaust.

1) Can someone please explain this 80% exhaust, why it is right or wrong?
2) Why would some of the other recommendations vary so much?
3) What cam specs would you recommend and by what company?
4) What gaskets do I need for a heads and cam swap?
5) Lastly, what other things would you recommend for my setup?

Sorry for the long post but endless searching has led me with only more questions. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

each shop will use a different set up based on their experience.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LastBlack02SS
So, Here are my mods, for my 2002 SS A4 daily driver, haven't installed yet b/c waiting for a cam. need to put them in the sig but o well:

-LS1 Ported and polished heads (not sure flow #'s, got off of the board) w/comp 918's.
-Pacesetter LT's coated w/catted Y Pipe (Texas Speed)
-Stock exhaust w/QTEC cutout
-Yank 2800 converter
-Powerdyne 6psi kit
-Walbro 255 in tank and 255 in line fuel pump
-42# injectors
-NGK TR6's w/MSD 8.5 wires
-TB bypass mod
-Smooth Bellows
-Strut Tower Brace

If I forgot something, uhhhhhhh, oops. So I visited Forcefed performance in Northern California who will most likely be dyno tuning my car, and he is incredibly knowledgable and came highly recommended. He explained that he prefferes a cam to have exhaust 80% of intake for F/I setups. He explained that this would vary slightly depending on my final setup, however he recommended this. I want to get a cam custom ground for my setup. Having emailed some sponsors for recommendations, none of the cams recommended even came close to this 80% exhaust.

1) Can someone please explain this 80% exhaust, why it is right or wrong?
2) Why would some of the other recommendations vary so much?
3) What cam specs would you recommend and by what company?
4) What gaskets do I need for a heads and cam swap?
5) Lastly, what other things would you recommend for my setup?

Sorry for the long post but endless searching has led me with only more questions. Thanks for the help.
I believe he is talking about intake flow compared to exhaust flow. The exhaust on a well balanced set of heads should flow between 70 and 80 percent of the intake flow.
The exhaust will help scavenge or pull the intake charge into the combustion chamber. This is why a N/A motor can be more than 100% efficient.
You should have your heads flowed and see where there at. Then have a custom cam made based on the flow sheets, we do it all the time. I would give you a cam recommendation but without flow sheets it's just a good guess. I would run cometic head gaskets, very good gasket, can take large hits of nitrous or boost.
I can help you out with your set-up give me a call, PM, e-mail advise is free.

PortPros@sbcglobal.net www.PortPros.com