Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A day late and a buck short

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 10:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A day late and a buck short

I just recently bought a 1999 A4 poncho TA. It's rock stock except for an air filter.

I wanna know some basic upgrade stuff that I can do to the car and still keep it daily driveable. It's my wife's DD, but she wants more rumble/speed.

I am kinda familiar with F-cars, I have had a turbo v6 camaro that I built from the ground up. It's a fun car. I don't know dick about TA's or LS1's though.

I am thinking about the following for the TA:

-airlid
-bellow

-Longtube headers with cats for emissions purposes
-True duals if feasible??
-mild rumbling mufflers (a woman drives it)

-mild computer programming. I have HPT for the car, I just have no idea what to edit.

I know I am a day late and a buck short for modding my car. This stuff has prolly all been discussed a zillion times with you guys. I just wanna know a good bang for the buck, proven combo. My main focus is a good FULL EXHAUST that isn't "SLP loudmouth" loud I'm not trying to break any records. I already did that with my stupid v6.

A little about me: I am a 2nd LT in the USMC at Quantico VA. I am trying to be a fighter pilot. I have owned some sort of F-car since I was 17.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lid is a great start but forget the bellows. It's a waste of money. You want to get some LT headers, catted Y-pipe and then some form of muffler style catback.

As far as headers go they all produce the same numbers but some are better fit and stainless steel. If your on a tight budget then Pacesetter coated LT headers with a TSP catted Y-pipe makes a great bang for the buck setup. If you can spend $1200 or so then Dynatech supermaxx are stainless steel, include HF cats and all possible accessories and has perfect fitment.

LT headers even with cats make these cars LOUD. So to tame the beast a tad and have no rasp/drone you're gonna want a quieter catback (since this is for your wife). Hooker and slp dual/dual make the two quietest catbacks that will still allow a good rumble at idle and scream pretty good at wot.

Now I highly recommend a 3000 stall torque converter with 24K tranny cooler. I would normally recommend 3500-4000 but since it's you're wifes daily driver a 3000 stall will be good enough. It'll knock half a second off the cars ET, get rid of the second gear dead spot and still feel so tight she won't even notice it's there until she punches the gas

After that just get a good dyno-tune. The programmer units aren't much good other then simple stuff like checking an engine code and maybe raising shift points or something. But a good dyno-tune after headers will probably unleash 10-20 rwhp and correct the car from running rich/lean which they often do after headers. I gained 29 rwhp from a dyno-tune after headers but mine was an extreme case of running dangerously lean and pulling mad timing.

That setup even on stock gears should make your wife very happy with a mid to upper 12 second car that sounds wicked at wot and maintains street manners.

Good luck
Old 11-08-2005, 01:19 PM
Launching!

Some 3.73 gears would register with the butt-o-meter.

Don't forget the free mods. There are many posts about them. Here is a couple sites to get you started.

http://www.ls1howto.com/
http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm
Old 11-08-2005, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LT Malice
I just recently bought a 1999 A4 poncho TA. It's rock stock except for an air filter.
I am thinking about the following for the TA:

-airlid
-bellow

-Longtube headers with cats for emissions purposes
-True duals if feasible??
-mild rumbling mufflers (a woman drives it)

-mild computer programming. I have HPT for the car, I just have no idea what to edit..
Lid -get whatever one suits you as far as looks and brand (you could even go with a used one if you like, they all give pretty close to the same HP increase
Bellow, don't waste the money (if you really have to do it search for "fernco mod" , tell you how to do a bellow for less than $10
LTs, no LTs are emissions legal even with cats, if you have just the OBD2 computer test, you can get by with it, but if you have a visual too, forget it, unless the inspector doesn't know what to look for, or you find a mod friendly inspection station
True duals, will likely be too loud for your lady, an SLP dual dual, or the hooker cat back will give a good sound that's not too loud, you might even consider a stock exhaust and install a cut out, for the times you want it loud
HP tuners, visit the ECM section here and read read read.
If you really want a stealthy stock sounding car, then check out the posts on the Cheatr package from thunder racing, 395 hp thru stock exhaust manifolds & cats, a bit of $$$, but no one will know it's there till you step on the loud pedal

A little about me: I am a 2nd LT in the USMC at Quantico VA. I am trying to be a fighter pilot. I have owned some sort of F-car since I was 17.
Thank you for serving your country
Old 11-08-2005, 09:07 PM
11 Second Club

yeah pretty much what the other guys said........ maybe add an underdrive pulley to the list for a little more HP.......
Old 11-08-2005, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

As long as we're mentioning mods that havent been discussed yet try lightening the load a little. Aluminum driveshafts and such. I believe they're about $300 new from summit for 82-02 Camaros/Firebirds. Anything else that might be a little heavy and functionally useless can be removed for that extra little bit of weight savings. Won't show on a dyno, but will on the ET's. Also from personal research run Royal Purple through everything. Tranny, diff, and engine you'll gain a little HP and perhaps some MPG's with an easy foot. Good luck and welcome aboard.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Thanx for the responses guys.

I just ordered a used airlid from someone on fullthrottlev6.com. I'll look further into the cheep/free bellow trick. Anyone got any links handy?

As far as exhaust goes: I am madly in love with the sexy smooth saunter of a true dual. I understand what you guys mean about them being really loud though. I guess I'll just do the LT headers, cats, and a hooker catback system.

I've been driving manual tranny's my whole life. Does the 3000rpm stall really feel stockish on the street?
Old 11-08-2005, 10:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 350-Z28
As long as we're mentioning mods that havent been discussed yet try lightening the load a little. Aluminum driveshafts and such.
stock driveshaft is aluminum and it sux
Old 11-09-2005, 05:16 AM
11 Second Club

Thanx for the responses guys.

I just ordered a used airlid from someone on fullthrottlev6.com. I'll look further into the cheep/free bellow trick. Anyone got any links handy?

As far as exhaust goes: I am madly in love with the sexy smooth saunter of a true dual. I understand what you guys mean about them being really loud though. I guess I'll just do the LT headers, cats, and a hooker catback system.

I've been driving manual tranny's my whole life. Does the 3000rpm stall really feel stockish on the street?
If it was for you, I'd say true duals all the way with bullets dumped. But since this is for your wife with whom you've expressed noise level concerns, I'd have to say your making a great choice with a hooker catback behind LT headers. It'll still sound really good. Just not obnixious loud (like my car).

A 3000 stall will feel very close to stock on the street. If this car will ever go to the track then get one with a 2.2 STR. If it will never go to the track then consider a slightly lessor STR of 1.8 - 2.0 to keep roasting street tires to a minimum. I think my 3500 feels stock after a few weeks of driving it so a 3000 has to feel even better. It's hands down the best mod you could put on that car. I doubt she'll notice any real looseness (especially if the car has 3.23 gears) but she'll sure notice the night and day difference at WoT

Yanks are top of the line but very expensive. TCI and Fuddle both make quality bang for the buck converters that are under $500.

Good luck with her car and god bless you for serving our country.