New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SS Hood - air intake???

Old 11-08-2005, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SS Hood - air intake???

I have a 99 camaro convert, and Im looking at getting the SS hood, Im not sure, but is there a kit for the intake that goes with this hood? Or is it just for looks?

Kurt
Old 11-08-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by firefitn
I have a 99 camaro convert, and Im looking at getting the SS hood, Im not sure, but is there a kit for the intake that goes with this hood? Or is it just for looks?

Kurt
if you buy a "functional" SS hood dont worry about it. it has ducts that direct the air. there are alot of SS hoods out there that are cheap knock offs and dont have this, so just be careful when looking.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:00 PM
TECH Veteran

I have a OEM SS Hood with a whisper lid works great.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:39 PM

The hood works with the factory intake. No change is necessary.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a Suncoast SS hood with their intake set up which is the same as the Pontiac ram air. The only benifit that I see to it is on the highway. From logging intake temps w/ HPTuners at the drag strip I've found that it takes well over 1/4 mile to bring the intake air temps down. Sitting in the staging lanes and idling up to the line on a normal summer day my intake temps will go as high as 113* and are still around 100* at the end of the run. Yes, the temp went down, but not significantly.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fast01
I have a Suncoast SS hood with their intake set up which is the same as the Pontiac ram air. The only benifit that I see to it is on the highway. From logging intake temps w/ HPTuners at the drag strip I've found that it takes well over 1/4 mile to bring the intake air temps down. Sitting in the staging lanes and idling up to the line on a normal summer day my intake temps will go as high as 113* and are still around 100* at the end of the run. Yes, the temp went down, but not significantly.
Yea thats the downfall to the hood, it looks really good, but the motor actually heats the ducts that channel the air, i dont remember which magazine did a test but they said after 3 minutes at a light it took 2 miles of driving to get intake air temps back down to that of a z28, i'll see if i can find it
Old 11-09-2005, 04:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98NBM_TransAm
Yea thats the downfall to the hood, it looks really good, but the motor actually heats the ducts that channel the air, i dont remember which magazine did a test but they said after 3 minutes at a light it took 2 miles of driving to get intake air temps back down to that of a z28, i'll see if i can find it

is this what you are talking about?

http://installuniversity.com/install...sity/index.htm

go to tech articles, and its the first one.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OMG! Where are all the guys that raided my same thread stating there is no such thing as a "functional" ss hood..?!

***I had this same thread about month ago or so, asking the same question, and got raided by like 5 people saying dont waste your time with an SS hood, its just for looks!

Looks like some people grew up! Sorry for the venting, just blows my mind!
Old 11-09-2005, 11:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by luvmeZ28
is this what you are talking about?

http://installuniversity.com/install...sity/index.htm

go to tech articles, and its the first one.
Thats the one, thanks, i dont see in there anything about 3 minutes though, so i have no idea where i got that, my mistake fella's!
Old 11-10-2005, 05:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by camarodave98
OMG! Where are all the guys that raided my same thread stating there is no such thing as a "functional" ss hood..?!

***I had this same thread about month ago or so, asking the same question, and got raided by like 5 people saying dont waste your time with an SS hood, its just for looks!

SS hoods are great for looks and in many cases are good for shedding a little weight. But they are a joke as far as "ram air" goes. You won't get down the 1/4 mile track any faster but the car will look alot cooler. I don't think it's a case of people "growing up". It's more a case of people not wanting to state the obvious over and over and over again.

Your sig says it all. The SS hood is in the appearance section as opposed to the mod section. Which of course is as it should be.

To the thread starter,

I still say you should get the hood but don't discount the idea of a ram air kit like FTRA or SSRA. That way you get the good looks and a tenth quicker in the 1/4 mile too. Good luck.

Last edited by darrensls1; 11-10-2005 at 05:28 AM.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the info... I guess Im going to look for a "Functional" hood, but not expect tons from it. I do think it looks alot better than stock. Now to spend time looking at the ram air kit FTRA or SSRA and see what the differences are...

thanks..

Kurt
Old 11-12-2005, 12:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by camarodave98

I just found this thread. I remember yours.

Buy the hood if you want the look. Dont buy it looking for horsepower.

Search this Thread