Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Grinding noise when letting out on clutch!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 06:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding noise when letting out on clutch!!

00 trans am nearly stock. 31k miles very well maintained.
The other day i was getting on my ws6 really hard, you know just for fun. When shifting from 1st. to 2nd.@about 5200rpm i heard a really bad grinding noise coming from the transmission so i put the car in netural and pulled over. Now when i put the car in any gear and let out on the clutch i hear a god awful grinding noise and the car will not move. I dont know much about clutches or transmissions so is there anyone out there that has had this problem before. My car is sitting at a dealership right now and they can not seem to figure out the problem. But they looked at the transmission and they said that it looks ok, but they are gonna take a 2nd look at it tomorrow. I just dont want them going trial and error at my expense. Also they said there were to plastic pices on the shift fork that were broke on 5th and 6th. If it sounds like i dont know what im talking about its because i dont, im just goin by what they have told me. [B]If i have left out any info please ask for it. Thanks so much for the help!![/B
Old 11-08-2005, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Whoah. If it's grinding in all gears and not moving it means either input or output shaft is horribly damaged (they should see that if they took the tranny out) or maybe your rear busted. Any mechanic should be able to trouble shoot this in about 2 minutes.

Yes, there are plastic pads on the shifter forks. When they break you can't put the car all of the way into gear properly and it will pop out. After it pops out a bunch of times, the gears wear enough that the car won't move. I doubt this happened for all of your gears, so I'm not sure that's your problem.

Good luck man.

Joe
Old 11-08-2005, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did the same thing..........but my problem was the cluutch. if i would let off the clutch reeeal slow and keep it under 2,000 rpms, the car would move, but anything past 2,000 and it wouold grind really loud and not accelerate. i thought the problem was orignially the tranny, but the little springs in my clutch were damaged and it caused the center of my clutch to come loose. if its the clutch, let me know and i've got a brand new clutch kit w/ a resurfaced flywheel i might be able to sell ya.
Old 03-24-2021, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Default Regarding to your issue

I doubt this will be seen as your post was so long ago, I am just curious what the problem was figured out to be? I am having the exact same problem and haven’t found anything else like it expect for this
Old 05-18-2022, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Hazel5051
I doubt this will be seen as your post was so long ago, I am just curious what the problem was figured out to be? I am having the exact same problem and haven’t found anything else like it expect for this
did you find a solution?

Quick Reply: Grinding noise when letting out on clutch!!