Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Electric Vacumm Pump Crankcase

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Vacumm Pump Crankcase

99 C5 Twin Turbo---Want to solve my blow issues with the crankcase being under constant/separate vacumm. I can't find any aftermarkets electric pumps. I tried reversing the electric air pump and could only pull 2lbs. I have heard that cadilac came with a factory pump, but dont know if it pulls enough vac. Do the ZO6s air pumps pull more vac?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're not going to find a 12v vacuum pump that's going to work well as a crancase evac pump. (at least I couldn't) I had the cadillac pump, and it could pull alot of vacuum, (at idle), but almost no CFM, so their was no vacuum at WOT.

I ended up getting a belt driven pump from star machine.

http://www.starvacuumpumps.com/catalog.php?cat=1
Old 11-09-2005, 01:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive heard of a factory aurora pump working well.

I would also like to get some more info on what exactly vaccume pumps do for you and what they range for pricing, and how you need to install them?. I have a ls6 valley cover can I use one there instead of using the sealed valvecovers with an fittings? I have been told that I am going to need one for my upcomming project and dont have much past experience.

If I could get that and dry sump oiling down I would be great!
Old 11-09-2005, 12:31 PM
Teching In

I would love the belt driven pump. However I think I am going to have a tough time packaging on the C5. I am going to call them and check. Thanks for the info...

Originally Posted by INTMD8
You're not going to find a 12v vacuum pump that's going to work well as a crancase evac pump. (at least I couldn't) I had the cadillac pump, and it could pull alot of vacuum, (at idle), but almost no CFM, so their was no vacuum at WOT.

I ended up getting a belt driven pump from star machine.

http://www.starvacuumpumps.com/catalog.php?cat=1
Old 11-09-2005, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe A&A has a complete bolt on set up. Its not on their web page so call them. Plus they are a sponsor. Expect some corvette tax though!
Old 11-09-2005, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Talked to Star Systems and they said I am going to have a hard time finding one to put up with daily street driving Electric and/or Belt. I told him I could not afford not to drive it everyday with the dreaded Corvette tax/LOL...I told him I am not looking for the extra HP (although I never mind any extra) I am just looking to keep my oil cleaner. I use a catch can which I would with the vac system, but that has not helped with having to still run a breather. Still seems to take in a little bit of moisture.

Will the belt/electric systems not hold up from constant street use? Or are there systems that can hold up from constant use so I can seal off the system? Thanks
Old 11-09-2005, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

I bought my car and it had a Cobra R Vacum pump on it.
But I am not having blow buy problems on my TTI twin turbo so the guy that did my setup disconnected it. the guy I bought the car from said he paid $800 for it. I am not using it. Make me an Fair offer and it could be yours.
Thanks Chuck
Old 11-09-2005, 04:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leatherbee408
99 C5 Twin Turbo---Want to solve my blow issues with the crankcase being under constant/separate vacumm. I can't find any aftermarkets electric pumps. I tried reversing the electric air pump and could only pull 2lbs. I have heard that cadilac came with a factory pump, but dont know if it pulls enough vac. Do the ZO6s air pumps pull more vac?

Any help would be appreciated.
if youre getting 2in vac at wot what is wrong with that? any vacuum is better than pressure. i understand that you may want more...but are you having an actual "problem" with ur current setup pulling 2in?
Old 11-09-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I remember the one a&a did and it was around 800. That is a pretty typical price range for a more every day pump. The pump pulls vacuum on the crankcase by allowing the rings to seal better. It also allows for the use of low tension piston rings as well that will give some more power. I believe that they put a decent amount of miles testing that unit before marketing it to the public. You can adjust the level of vacuum also with that pump depending on your application.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slow3hoe2
if youre getting 2in vac at wot what is wrong with that? any vacuum is better than pressure. i understand that you may want more...but are you having an actual "problem" with ur current setup pulling 2in?
Id take 2in vac @ WOT. I was just bench testing it and got only 2in vac. Probably would not even pull that at idle in the crankcase.

I have not even tried a vac. pump yet. Just dont like running a breather, because the oil gets a little nasty up near the filler. I drive the car alot and just want to find a way to run a sealed crankcase. I hear those oneway check valves eventually fail. But if $800 is the only answer for a vac. pump I think I will spend my money on a meth kit and just change my oil more often Thanks Matt
Old 11-10-2005, 01:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leatherbee408
Id take 2in vac @ WOT. I was just bench testing it and got only 2in vac. Probably would not even pull that at idle in the crankcase.
oh...i see.

i know chris sakora (sp?) was running one on his blown lt1z in the 8sec range...and he told me it had just gotten to the point where it wouldnt pull vacuum at that hp level. try contacting him...he may be able to help you out...he is very knowledgeble. not sure what his screen name is on here...z8's maybe?

Quick Reply: Electric Vacumm Pump Crankcase