Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Dash help!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-09-2005, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash help!!!!!!!!!

ok, i have been talking to an audio place here back and forth about my 3rd speaker location, so far i am using the 6 1/5 locations in the back, and the 6 1/2 in the front, i still have another set, and we started discussing the dash, they said it'd sound great, problem is how much crap is under that, i need to mount a 6 1/2 inch midrange and a 1" tweeter somewhat beside it,,, any clues or input????
Old 11-09-2005, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy crap man. 6.5" dash speakers? Sorry but I don't really see how that is necessary. I could understand tweeters up there, and maybe some small 3.5-4" mids... but 6.5"?

You don't want bass up there b/c it will rattle to high hell. Try tearing off the dash pad and seeing what you have to work with. I would think you could do something pretty nice by cutting up the dash pad and flush mounting mids and tweets up there if need be.

But...I'd pick up a spare dash pad before doing anything drastic. I believe they are no longer available as service parts.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

well they are mb quart components, they shouldn't rattle, not alot of bass coming outta them, i talked to an audio place and they said it would sound awsome,,, just curious what kinda space i have to work with,, i might hunt down a junkyard,,,,, but just kinda hopin i can get help on here first b4 i go huntin stuff down,,,,,
Old 11-09-2005, 07:45 PM
TECH Resident

More speakers are not always better. dash speakers would kill your soundstage, and any realism you may be looking for. It looks like the stereo shop is trying to make some more money off you. But of course, if sound accuracy or any semblance of decent sound is not important to you; and all you want is loud, hell, put some 6x9's in some of those carpeted boxes and throw them in the back seat or something.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Snootch
More speakers are not always better. dash speakers would kill your soundstage, and any realism you may be looking for. It looks like the stereo shop is trying to make some more money off you. But of course, if sound accuracy or any semblance of decent sound is not important to you; and all you want is loud, hell, put some 6x9's in some of those carpeted boxes and throw them in the back seat or something.
werd...
take a look at CDT's site if you want to see a good way of adding 'speakers' to the dash

http://cdtaudio.com/stagefront_centerstage_systems.htm
Old 11-10-2005, 04:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

At one point I had a focal polyk 5 1/4 in my dash where the defroster vent is. It just took making a Y pipe to route the air around it. I put the tweeter in the center ac vent (firebird), It sounded fine. I don't think you could get a 6 1/2 in there though.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

well i know they aren't tryin to make money offa me, i already have the speakers, i'm just going to them for advice,,, they know i'm not buying anything from them,, and they said the same thing in not so many words "if the cake asks for 2 eggs and you have a dozen" << same idea,, more isn't always better, just don't wanna c a set of 300$ components go to waste,,,,
Old 11-10-2005, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sell the component set and put the money somewhere else. I was trying to be nice about it before because it sounded like you just had your mind set to using them in the dash, but this is really a bad idea.

Maybe you would get the sound you are looking for by pillar or dash mounting the tweeters from your door set, but there's no reason or benefit to have four mids up front. You'd just be taking a bunch of risk and cost for no major benefit other than uniqueness.

MB Quarts should resell just fine, especially if you have original paperwork.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

well i got they entire thing done, sounds good, i still have that damn component set lol,,,, but ya i just might hawk it, i might keep the highs, put them somewhere, i did the t/a door swap and it worked out fine, took bout an hour to do it, and i love em, and i just put the 6.5 mid in the factory rear well not all the way in the rear but backseat, and mounted the highs back behind the cover, soo the entire thing looks stock, except for the amp and subs in the back, but it is sounding good,,, i am still curious tho about moutning on the dash, just a place i think would sound good, we are tweaking it right now soo might not be necessarry, but we'll c

Search this Thread