Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Running 4-5 PSI with stock tuning

Old 11-09-2005, 07:47 PM
Restricted User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Running 4-5 PSI with stock tuning

Can you run a STS turbo system making only 4-5 psi of boost, with stock only tunning and (stock injectors) On a stock LS1 2001 Camaro?,

will the Mass air and ECM, fuel injectors compensate for the extra air being forced into the motor? Will the Mass air sensor pick up this extra air like it does when you spray small DRY nitrous shots through it

I do have a racetronics intank fuel pump installed
Old 11-09-2005, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can, but I don't think it's such a good idea. I did that when I first got my kit, and I only had an EGT gauge to keep track of things. I was over 1400* by the end of a 1/4 run. That is pretty lean. You should get some larger injectors, and a tune. It costs a lot less than a new motor.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:10 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

More than likely you will crack the number seven piston if you do not at the very least get a tune. Many people are now running a forged engine who never intended to... Bob
Old 11-10-2005, 12:18 PM
9 Second Club

I blew no 7 at 4 psi stock motor on tune, never dynoed but was trapping 120....
Old 11-10-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

In a word, NO.
Get a tune.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:52 PM
Restricted User

hi Tiago, that was on a stock motor, was it also factory stock tunning?
Old 11-10-2005, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

if you dont care if you blow your motor go for it.

if youd like to not be the idiot that blew his motor because he wanted a turbo but didnt wanna get the tune that needs to go with the turbo get it tuned.

a part of doing a complete turbo kit is tuning it.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:12 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lawnboy
hi Tiago, that was on a stock motor, was it also factory stock tunning?
yes sorry, thats what I meant, stock tuning.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:43 PM
Restricted User

idiot??? NOW hold on i was only asking a question, MIKE!
Old 01-25-2013, 01:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

i know it old, but somtimes you gotta bring it up so people know better lol my wondering is whos done it and for how long until the motor said ""na uh" and let go. id image with some fuel upgrades (injectors, fuel pump, return system), PCV upgrade, and a little luck you "could" get away with it if you stuck to 4psi and under (why?) but you'd just be hamstinging your potential. And still run the risk of blowing the motor anyway
Old 01-25-2013, 02:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83
i know it old, but somtimes you gotta bring it up so people know better lol my wondering is whos done it and for how long until the motor said ""na uh" and let go. id image with some fuel upgrades (injectors, fuel pump, return system), PCV upgrade, and a little luck you "could" get away with it if you stuck to 4psi and under (why?) but you'd just be hamstinging your potential. And still run the risk of blowing the motor anyway
There is not one instance I can think of that it would be ok to run a stock tune after putting a turbo on.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Dont even think of doing it. Timing, spark plugs, fuel curve is all wrong. It may work for a couple pulls but why even risk leaning it out. For F.I you want to stay under 12.5 A/F. Your stock computer is not calibrated anywhere close to that at W.O.T. If its not tuned stay out of the gas. It will only bring bad things.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:28 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

spend the few hundred bucks and at the very very least get a tune. i mean no offense, but if you dont want to get it tuned (or cant afford it, im not one to assume) then maybe its not time for you to have a turbo just yet.

not to mention, if you already have a pump, buy a cheap set of injectors on here, get yourself a tune, and turn it up to 7-9ish psi. and be way safer than 4 psi on stock injectors and tune, make more power, drive it forever etc. seems like a no brainer to me.

YOUR SOURCE FOR ALL THINGS TURBO!
CASEY@HURONSPEED.COM
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
TWITTER @HURONSPEED
Old 01-25-2013, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by itsslow98
There is not one instance I can think of that it would be ok to run a stock tune after putting a turbo on.
oh dont get me wrong, I am not doing it lol
Im sending my PCM to frost first before I drive my car with a turbo on it so i can get it fine tuned a later date.
Im fully advocating getting a tune, no matter how low of boost. Hell, I recommend a tune even with stock trim just to get alittle more out of the car.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Even with a mail order tune they cant get it right every time. Turbos work different than blowers. I wouldnt even get on it with a mail order tune unless I had a wideband and windows down constantly listening for it to ping. Even dyno tuning isnt the best for turbo cars unless you can simulate the exact weight and run it through the gears. I have seen turbo cars tuned perfectly on a dyno and go out on the street and they ping (detonate). They work off load not rpm. That is why its better to get it street tuned vs. dyno or mail order. Superchargers are one thing but for a turbo I reccomend a street tune. Do dyno tunes work on turbos hell yes. Plenty of people tune on them just fine. I prefer street tuning on a turbo car though just for piece of mind.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Even changing a gear can make a turbo lean out or ping because its loaded and boosting in a different place. On a stock motor it wont take much detonation if any to hurt it. If you are going to play the stock motor roulette game that tune has to be spot on and never let it hiccup. Thats why there is so much success in E85 because it burns cool and you burn it super rich along with the octane benefits.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Lawnboy
Can you run a STS turbo system making only 4-5 psi of boost, with stock only tunning and (stock injectors) On a stock LS1 2001 Camaro?,

will the Mass air and ECM, fuel injectors compensate for the extra air being forced into the motor? Will the Mass air sensor pick up this extra air like it does when you spray small DRY nitrous shots through it

I do have a racetronics intank fuel pump installed

The maf may pick up the extra air to a point but like I said earlier your computer will try for a set A/F at W.O.T and it is not anywhere near 12.5 or under, which is where you need to be. Will it compensate. Probably somewhat but only up to 14.0 ish range. Way to lean for F.I.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:12 PM
7 Second Club

Received 282 Likes on 186 Posts

LOL I still don't understand why a thread from 05 was bumped. The answer was no then and it's still no.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

1sick-z likes this comment ^^
Old 01-25-2013, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

because the forums have become stale and boring, and beause this is what people need to know so they dont blow their motor.

I will say though for those that dont have the luxury of having their car built in a shop with a dyno in it, or have a tuning software to tune the car out the garage, a mail order tune will be much safer to limp to the tuning shop then to drive it on stock tune or a tune that was designed for N/A vs boost.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Running 4-5 PSI with stock tuning