Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02s what do they affect

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02s what do they affect

ok well my car has been idling funny lately and i think my drivers side 02 has gone bad, i hear a tick right by my front left tire and it sounds kinda like an exhaust leak but i dont think that would affect idleing, so i came with another assumption that it could be a bad 02 b.c ive noticed my gas mileage isnt the same and the exhaust sounds a little different from what it use to. any ideas???
Old 11-10-2005, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

also could bad spark plugs do this, i am gonna be changin the spark plugs here soon once i get my pacesetters but dont know if i should go ahead and change the spark plugs to see if that is the problem.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

If the 02 was bad the SES light would be on. Spark plugs and wires can never hurt. The ticking may be normal, mine ticks like it's job, more like a chatter, and it was much more obvious once i put on my long tubes.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah a Bad O2 sensor would set your SES light. Basicly your front 2 O2 sensors monitor how rich or lean your car is running and make corrections to fuel delivery to try and acheive the ideal air fuel ratio. And the rear O2's monitor the converter to make sure it is working properly.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

ok so that is one thing off the list lol, now i guess i will just change my spark plugs and then see what happens. also can you hear your fuel injectors tick when your in the car with the windows up and everything dead quiet except for the exhaust of course??? b/c i hope thats he tick i am hearing it sounds like it because its continuous and the same all the time and no performance has been affected.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

but also what could be affecting my idling problem i am hoping its the spark plugs since they are old, and i heard something about clogged fuel injectors and i just put in redline fuel treatment like an hour ago when i filled up at shell with V-power gas. i hope its not a pushrod or a spring, or worse and spun bearing but my car would run like **** if i did that, i am gonna see about the rockers tho and check the torque on them this weekend maybe. what are the torque specs for the rockers on a stock LS1???
Old 11-10-2005, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your spark plugs could be the cause of the bad idle. My injectors/ignition is noisy ... welcome to the LS1
I'd go ahead and swap the plugs, can't hurt to figure out if thats whats behind the bad idle or not. They can also effect gas mileage too so that very well could be the problem.

:scratches head: ... speakin of which mine are about due for a swap too

Rocker arms are 22lb/ft
Old 11-10-2005, 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

true and its coming from the top of the motor the tick sound so its either clogged injector or crappy spark plug, i know the LS1s are noisy ive had her for about a year and a half now and couldnt have picked a better car. get looks from girls, old people in mercedes telling me nice car lol ( i know sounds weird but it happens), and smoking the ricers and mustang bastards out there. has anyone here has any problems with idling b/c of a spark plug??? i mean i dont see why it wouldnt affect it but just want to hear other peoples stories.