Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what code would a plugged cat be

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what code would a plugged cat be

I had my car scanned at Auto-zone today and the guy told me that my cats were getting plugged. he used a small orange scan tool and i ask him what code it gave, he look at a little book and said it just says that the cat is plugged and that i should run a straight pipe. I know some of these guys are full of S**T. so what code would it be,im going to scan it somewhere else later on.,
Old 11-10-2005, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Lightbulb

P420 for bank #1 (aka drivers side)
P430 for bank #2 (passenger side)

Scanner will usually say "Catalyst below threshold"

HOWEVER, in alot of cases (like mine) it's really just the rear O2 Sensor and not the cat, so check those first before you replace the cats.

Hope this helps.
Ivan
Old 11-11-2005, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

i had it scanned again today it had both codes p0420 and p0430, did both of your o2 sensors go out at the same time. that would seem kind of unlikely. But i did start getting a thump like loose exhaust somewhere that i havent found yet could that damage them.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:51 AM
On The Tree

Actually, both mine pretty much went out at the same time. However I only got a code for the driver side (bank #1), but when I checked the passenger side it was on it's way out too.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

I got both of those codes on my car, so I just removed the rear O2 sensors. Car runs great, I get 28 mpg on the highway and have 385+ rwhp. 420 and 430 only mean that the cats are not performing as well as they should in terms of cleaning the exhaust. The codes are set when the voltage from the rear sensors is very close to the voltage on the front sensors. It does not necessarially mean that the cats are clogged.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Check it with a scan tool and watch the rear o2 sweeps. It will be very easy to see what is going on or what the problem is.

EDIT: I mean really scan it, alot of people are just using scanners for code readers. Live data is where all of your information is at.