Sponsored by:

Dealership set my PCM back to stock flash

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dealership set my PCM back to stock flash

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...35#post3777635

I did some fan/cags settings in my PCM the other day on my 04 Z06 and then a few days later took the car in for a recall on the steering column.

Well I got it back today and my fans are back at the default and my cags was also reset (basically just turned back on)

The only conclusion I can come up with is that for some reason the steering column recall made them reflash the PCM to a new firmware I guess?

No big deal, I will just go retune it, but I found that it was odd that the PCM is set back to stock.

Last edited by horist; 11-10-2005 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Added the text from the other post here so people could follow along easier...

I did a quick search here and on CF and didn't see anything pertaining to having to flash the PCM in order to replace the steering column...

There was mention of a flash to the BCM for the ECL but that wasn't an issue on 01+ vettes.... my guess is that either:

1. Standard procedure for them is to flash your PCM to the latest operating system (They probably connect to the car anyways... takes a second to get the OS... so if the computer detects it's an older OS for that year maybe it tells them to reflash)

2. If the car's warranty... they can pickup an extra .5 hours or so pay from the factory by claiming they reflashed the PCM (need to actually flash it if it's an older OS... or else the factory will wonder why the same vehicle had the PCM flashed every visit to the same OS heh)
Old 11-11-2005, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Part of the steering lock recall is to reflash the PCM. That is why they did that and why mine has not gone in for that recell work.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:07 PM
Teching In

The fustrating part is that reflashing your PCM does not prevent the steering column from locking up, only turns the gas off if does or if the PCM thinks it is locked. I installed the bypass and will not let the dealer do the recall.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

i dont see what the big deal is. let the dealership fix your steering column and have your tuner reload the custom tune. any reputable shop will reload your tune for free. just make sure that they still have it on file, or that you have a disk with the custom tune on it.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It is a little bit more work than that but certainly can be done. The reflash for the column lock "fix" loads a new operating system into the PCM. This means that all of the calibration changes from the original tune have to be manually copied over to the calibration for the new operating system. It's not hard to do but can be tedious if many changes were made.

Originally Posted by 2002z28
i dont see what the big deal is. let the dealership fix your steering column and have your tuner reload the custom tune. any reputable shop will reload your tune for free. just make sure that they still have it on file, or that you have a disk with the custom tune on it.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VortechC5
It is a little bit more work than that but certainly can be done. The reflash for the column lock "fix" loads a new operating system into the PCM. This means that all of the calibration changes from the original tune have to be manually copied over to the calibration for the new operating system. It's not hard to do but can be tedious if many changes were made.
This is why I did not just load my old flash when I did it. I re-read the pcm and then wrote 'only the new calibrations' (something you can opt to do in VCM Suite 2.0 of HP Tuners).
Old 11-12-2005, 11:00 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SSnakekiller
This is why I did not just load my old flash when I did it. I re-read the pcm and then wrote 'only the new calibrations' (something you can opt to do in VCM Suite 2.0 of HP Tuners).
you could so that in 1.x as well

yeah..it sux when a dealer does that...
ha da buddy that I tuned..and he could barely drive his car home after taking his car in for service....HE was PISSED...
But I reflashed....
the next time he went in for something he took me with him to get the car...
I had to reflash AGAIN!!!
but atleast he had me there..and he was able to drive the car wome with no embarrasment..LOL
Old 11-13-2005, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by soundengineer
you could so that in 1.x as well

yeah..it sux when a dealer does that...
ha da buddy that I tuned..and he could barely drive his car home after taking his car in for service....HE was PISSED...
But I reflashed....
the next time he went in for something he took me with him to get the car...
I had to reflash AGAIN!!!
but atleast he had me there..and he was able to drive the car wome with no embarrasment..LOL
Wouldnt they realize after they flashed it back to stock that it ran like ****? Yeah I was actually thinking about this type of thing, someone that comes in with a huge cam or something and the all the VE **** is set back to stock

lol