Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nitrous experts got questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 11:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default nitrous experts got questions

heres my sitution, im spraying about a 100 shot on my mild heads cam car and no matter what i do i get detention, the car runs 11/1 compression with 26 degrees of advance on the motor, i run 93 octane and the car apears to have no oil in the intake tract diluting the air and i have a catch can, right now i have 8 degrees pulled out for a total of 18 and i still get some pinging and if i jet up or down it dosnt affect the hp very much, it always makes about 80hp at the wheels even when i tried up to a 150 shot, the airfuel is a perfect 11.5/1 across the board on nitrous and im running 42lb injectors and fuel pressure is stable, also running tr6 plugs gapped at .035, the car runs fine on the motor and pulls to redline with no issues, even the power on the nitrous is smooth and pulls all the way out, this is not my first nitrous car and i never had a problem like this with such a small shot, i apreciate any help
Old 11-11-2005, 05:11 AM
11 Second Club

When you say you're getting detonation, how are you determining this? Have you been logging KR or do you hear what you think is pinging?
Old 11-11-2005, 08:21 AM
Staging Lane

with any thing close to my n/a timing its got KR and audible pinging, then after pulling out timing till there is no KR ill still get audible pinging so i then pulled out 2 more degrees, the pinging is very prononced and very easy to hear
Old 11-11-2005, 10:08 AM
FormerVendor

I believe you are the gentlemen that I talk to on the phone the other day with this problem (Chris, I think?). If this is the same person, I meant to call you and tell you to try a Flow Test on the nitrous system. To do this just take the nozzle out of the car so that it will be spraying into the air and not into the motor. Weigh the bottle (helps to have a full bottle) before activating the system. Once you have that weight, activate the system for 10sec., and then weigh the bottle again. This will show exactly how much nitrous is actually making it into the motor and will tell you if there is even enough nitrous flowing to make the power that it is supposed to make.

Let me know what the weights before and after are if you do this test. From our conversations on the phone I still don't think that detonation is the problem or the noise that you are hearing, but I'll keep digging to help find a solution.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:15 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have high compression as well, had to back the timing way off to get it right if that helps.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

i will see if its spraying the right amount, also i have seen many people running on 93 octane and 11/1 compression, i dont think i should have to pull 8 or more degrees out, thanks for the advice guys
Old 11-11-2005, 11:48 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Have you tried running race gas to see if that solves the problem. Might not be a solution but will help isolate the issue..

Dan
Old 11-11-2005, 12:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cbrtrx
i will see if its spraying the right amount, also i have seen many people running on 93 octane and 11/1 compression, i dont think i should have to pull 8 or more degrees out, thanks for the advice guys
my car is a daily driver and I think our premium is 92 octane. I'll find out what the timing was set to. Not saying the n2o isnt working properly just saying that mine had to be backed off a lot and it actualy gained more power by backing it way off. It was dyno tuned on a mustang dyno and it took a while to get it right. I have the 5.3 heads and I thought TSP said my compression should be around 11.75:1 or that sounds kind of high doesnt it.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
my car is a daily driver and I think our premium is 92 octane. I'll find out what the timing was set to. Not saying the n2o isnt working properly just saying that mine had to be backed off a lot and it actualy gained more power by backing it way off. It was dyno tuned on a mustang dyno and it took a while to get it right. I have the 5.3 heads and I thought TSP said my compression should be around 11.75:1 or that sounds kind of high doesnt it.
well if you can find out your compression ratio is and the amount of timing you backed off and how much your spraying that might help me lead to something, thanks
Old 11-11-2005, 03:44 PM
Banned

I'll be in his shop next week to put a big brake kit on, I can get the timing maps from him prbably. i'm runing a 100 shot
Old 11-11-2005, 04:21 PM
FormerVendor

Chris, I have been talking with a couple of the techs all day since you and I got off the phone earlier. They both agreed with what I originally told you about it being in the valve train of the heads. One of the techs here had an identical problem on their carbed race car. They changed the carb, intake, everything in the ignition, everything in the nitrous system, and even changed the exhaust and it still made a pinging sound bad enough on the nitrous that they thought the rods were going to go through the block. However the motor ran awsome n/a, just sounded absolutely horrible when they sprayed it. Well, at the end of the year they took the heads off to have them freshened up and the machine shop told them that they had 9 BENT valves.

Like I said earlier when we spoke on the phone, I would recommend pulling the heads off the car and taking a close look at the valves and springs to make sure they're ok.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:02 PM
Banned

9 bent valves
Old 11-13-2005, 11:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok guys, I have also tried to help Chris. He is a nice guy.
He is running a wet kit.He recently added heads cam and a DRY nitrous kit.
I We have went over everything. I suggest a machanical problem such as week springs or lifters.Maybe valve clearence. OR possibly in the tune...

Wait ,
Chris are you sure your did not get the timming marks off during your cam install?
Dave
Old 11-14-2005, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

cam was put in straight up and the dots lines up good, cam is on a 114 lsa , so it shouldnt be bad for nitrous either, im trying more things but being that it runs 100 percent on the motor i find it hard to believe that the motor is at fault
Old 11-14-2005, 12:09 PM
FormerVendor

Just following up with you Chris, did you have a chance to mess with the car this weekend?