Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LT1 T56 clutch mechanism

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 T56 clutch mechanism

Hi, I am planning to put a T56 behind my Cadillac big block, but I'm wanting to remove the hydraulics and fab up a mechanical system. I have never seen one of the LT1 clutch setups, can someone describe to me how the pull-type system works and how the components are laid out, so I can get an idea of how best to go about doing this? Thanks.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The LT1 is a hydraulic system. The main diff over LS1 is an external VS concentric slave.So the "pull " reference does not mean mechanical. If you really want a mechanical system ( I would not do it) a pre'05 mustang cable set-up would have the most availability with cheap parts( junkyard). I am assuming you have no parts accumulated yet.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:57 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It's possible to do that; my T56 is a 1995 box with mechanical in a g-body. But finding a throwout bearing to fit the bearing retainer that's not deep as hell is not happening. Your best bet would be McLeod scattershield & appropriate adapter plate from them, LS1 T56 & proper mech. linkage for the vehicle in which your Cad is installed.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:08 PM
Teching In

This motor is actually going into an SN95 Mustang. Yes, I know the LT1 is a hydraulic setup. I am planning to convert it to mechanical. I understand the LT1 has an odd "pull type" engagement. I plan to convert it to a standard push clutch.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:48 PM
Teching In

Sorry I don't have an answer but try www.impalassforum.com. There is alot of information on T56 conversion and this topic has probabilaty been discused. Might have to do a search.

HTH Wayne
Old 11-14-2005, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since the SN95 is its home, I think the obvious answer is to use a Mustang cable-release system and convert to an 03-04 SVT / T56 front adapter.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:43 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by shiftless
This motor is actually going into an SN95 Mustang. Yes, I know the LT1 is a hydraulic setup. I am planning to convert it to mechanical. I understand the LT1 has an odd "pull type" engagement. I plan to convert it to a standard push clutch.
Well, no matter what, you'll need either the McLeod scattershield to bolt to the Cad, or an adapter to bolt the Chev. bellhousing to the BOP pattern Cad block. If a push clutch simplifies flywheel & clutch shopping (I have never shopped for a Cad flywheel LOL) then you might go that route & seriously consider cable release since pedals in an SN95 are already setup that way and they work. The front plate from a Mustang-specific T56 would have the ballstud in place (on the passenger side upper) for the stang fork; you're going to need to do some homework on making sure the fork throw would release the clutch you're looking into using. And take whatever Red at McLeod says with a grain of salt; he knows clutches, but some of their "custom" parts to install parts where they don't go originally tend to get R&D'd by the customer.

Quick Reply: LT1 T56 clutch mechanism