Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to fresh'n up my LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to fresh'n up my LS1?

With high milage coming and winter, I was hoping someone could give me a general idea of what I should do and how much it would cost to overhaul my LS1.

1. What is involved in freshing up the bottom end and how much does it cost?
2. Would it be more practical to get a new or used w/ less mileage engine?
3. If heads are going to be replaced what else is there i can do?

Thanks!
Old 11-11-2005, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What is your goal for this over haul? Mostly stock? or a beast? How much are able to spend? If your looking to go with some forged internals most of the sponcers offer SB's almost as cheap as doing it your self. If your just looking to freshen up what you have then I would hone the block replace the rings and all bearings (cam, rod, crank). Have the heads cleaned up and maybe shaved .010 to get them strait. New oil pump, lifters/trays, and timing chain. Also check the clutch while your at it.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:35 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Well, what do you call high mileage?
I, too, am thinking about freshening up my engine next year.
However, at my current mileage it runs fine, if a little noisy on cold starts.
If you have run it hard, hard, or have mileage in excess of 100K I would at least mike the cylinders and crank and see what you have on the bottom end.
Valve job , goes without saying.
I've rebuilt small blocks w/miles that I just installed new rod & crank bearings (minimal wear), dipped the block, took the ridge out, honed and put new cam bearings and new rings in.
I have mostly taken the individual parts to a reliable automotive machine shop to spec out and did all final assbly myself.
As I have done none of this on my LS1, or anything else recently, I have no idea of the costs. But the more you can do yourself, the more you'll save.
There are some great deals out there on Short Bs, but not necessarily the cheapest route to go.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by conan
If your looking to go with some forged internals most of the sponcers offer SB's almost as cheap as doing it your self. Have the heads cleaned up and maybe shaved .010 to get them strait. New oil pump, lifters/trays, and timing chain. Also check the clutch while your at it.
^^that's what I would want to do--forged bottom end, cam, and spray.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:28 AM
TECH Resident

What is your goal for this over haul? Mostly stock? or a beast? How much are able to spend? If your looking to go with some forged internals most of the sponcers offer SB's almost as cheap as doing it your self. If your just looking to freshen up what you have then I would hone the block replace the rings and all bearings (cam, rod, crank). Have the heads cleaned up and maybe shaved .010 to get them strait. New oil pump, lifters/trays, and timing chain. Also check the clutch while your at it.
I'm not looking to have a beast but what you mentioned above is exactly what i was looking for (Hone the block, replace rings and all bearings) I may be getting new heads anyway but how much does just the block and bearing work cost?
Old 11-14-2005, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

You'll have to call some machine shops in you area for the price on a hone. Also check with texas speed there prices are verry good.
http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...p&vid=3&pcid=7
http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...vid=3&pcid=121
Old 11-14-2005, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Also when you talk to the machine shop ask them about doing a crank shaft run out. This will tell you if the crank needs to be cut or not.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:48 AM
TECH Resident

Also when you talk to the machine shop ask them about doing a crank shaft run out. This will tell you if the crank needs to be cut or not.
I was just looking at thunder's site and those items about 30mins ago. What is a crank shaft run out? Does the crank wear down? I am sry i have never done any of this b4. Thank for all the advice!!!
Old 11-14-2005, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

A crankshaft runout measures if the crank is out of round. You should also have the main and rod journals of the crank mic ed to see if the clearances with the new bearings are with in GM's spec's. The crank will wear over time. How many miles do you have on that moter?
Old 11-15-2005, 09:13 AM
TECH Resident

A crankshaft runout measures if the crank is out of round. You should also have the main and rod journals of the crank mic ed to see if the clearances with the new bearings are with in GM's spec's. The crank will wear over time. How many miles do you have on that moter?
131K This is my daily driver but i have a beater that i drive on ugly days. The thing is I am trying to decide to just put the Z up and save up for a new motor package maybe a 408 or 427 or just freshen up what i have..I really don't know...I may even try and sell it. It runs great i just don't want to worry about it ya know.

Quick Reply: How to fresh'n up my LS1?