Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

advantage to keep TC locked up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default advantage to keep TC locked up?

I flashed my puter to make it that the TC only locks up in 4th gear. Would there be any advantage to let it lock up in second and third gears? What does it actually do when the converter locks up anyways? Thanks.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depending on where you drive your car and your driving style will really depend on if it's worth having it lock up in third. IMO, if you do a lot of driving on the street, or in traffic, it's a good idea to have it lock in third. If it's mainly a track car or if you do highway driving where you're always cruising then locking up in third wouldn't be as big of a deal.

Because I do a lot of driving in traffic, I have third gear lockup set to kickup ~35mph (just above 1500rpms). I'll leave the shifter in 3rd then until I'm above my 4th gear lockup point (50mph). I have it tuned this way because otherwise I'd be spending a lot of time with the convertor unlocked. That's going to cause a lot more heat in the tranny and higher rpms which is going to mean she's going to eat more gas. By locking the convertor, my tranny temps stay down and she does better on gas.

Stock programming did have 2nd gear lockup ever, so I kept it that way.

As far as what it does when the convertor locks, I'm going to let someone else explain it because they'll do a better job at it then I will.

Quick Reply: advantage to keep TC locked up?