Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Has anyone tried this

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 02:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Has anyone tried this

I recently made a thread about my gears feeling notchy, i didn't get much response and after further research, i saw this on a corvette forum. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...374&forum_id=1
has anyone tried this and seen improvement, i'm assuming it can be done. thanks
Old 11-13-2005, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

basically this is what is done,

You get a washer the size .070 thick, .780 inside dia., .905 outside dia. (this measurement not real crucial) I used copper. It has to be drain plug quality metal or it will crush and not be affective. Napa is where I probably got mine they could look it by size. THE ONLY PROBLEMS YOU CAN HAVE IS SHIMMING IT OUT TO MUCH. I have a B&M sport short throw. A stock shifter would probably work better with a .040 or .050. A transmission detent is ball bearing under spring pressure (the M12 is a fully enclosed detent) that is pushed into a U shaped cut out in the shifter shaft. This is what a lot of people complain about "it's too notchy". You are just lessoning the spring pressure behind the ball bearing being pushing into a U shape cut out in a shaft. In turn not so notchy. This is where we could run into a problem. If the shim is to thick, no spring pressure and it will pop out of gear (NOT GOOD). I have read about another members mod on the same subject but don't know how they will "custom fit" for different shift length if in fact it is the same mod.

this is a quote, but has anyone tried it, it looks promising
Old 11-15-2005, 09:08 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I too would still like to know if this works on our T56s and not just on the vette T56.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where is this located? my friends tranny is notchy as ****, maybe we will try it out
Old 11-15-2005, 09:43 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Its on the upper right side of the transmission
Old 11-15-2005, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok thanks
Old 11-17-2005, 11:17 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ttt..anymore info yet??i want to try it if it will work. otherwise thats a lot of un needed effort jacking the car up
Old 11-18-2005, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This type of post will generate more problems that it solves. The detent function in the T56 comes from several devices. The detent capsule mentioned here only controls part of the fore-aft rail detent feel( there is also a spring-loaded ball that rides in the guide plate). If the detent load here is high, there is a high effort required to come out of the neutral plane and enter a given gear. This load is calibrated to be higher than the synchronizer load so that the operator feels less "work" or fewer "work " events. If you reduce this load( as with shimming) you will accent the synchronizer "work" events and produce multi- feeels in shifting. Yes the effort will be reduced but most people prefer a more precise shift feel( even though its higher effort) Also:Most people who complain of notchiness are talking about multi -feels. The net result of this tweeking will drive more notchy shift complaints.
There is a dark side to this mod. No its not a gear jump out issue. This detent has absolutely nothing to do with holding a gear engaged. It is the wallowy/ loose feel of the shifter in the neutral plane.

Quick Reply: Has anyone tried this