Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camshafts and the C.A.R.B

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 12:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshafts and the C.A.R.B

This is a fairly basic question, so I figured it would be best if placed in this section. I just need to know if camshafts or new cylinder heads need to have a CARB number, for those of us here in CA. I know that cams under 224 duration and under usually pass fine, but I just need to know if it's actually legal. Will they check for a CARB number, if they somehow find out I have a non-stock cam, or a loping idle? Or if they see non-stock heads, will they ask for a CARB number? It just isn't something I had thought about, but needed to know.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:16 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not familiar with the specifics of California regulations, but you can find all sorts of information at http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/aftermkt.htm
Old 11-14-2005, 05:19 AM
Naked AV

Found here:

Cams
The manufacturer of replacement cams determines which of their parts are considered replacements for original equipment. These replacement cams are then listed by vehicle year, make, model and engine size in the manufacturer's catalogue. A replacement cam must have exactly the same specifications (grind) as the original part. Cams that have different specifications than the original part require an Executive Order to be legal for street use.
Oh, and BTW, there are zero cams that have been issued Executive Orders for street use in CA.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

AFAIK there are no legal replacements, the closest thing would be the LS6 heads and cam, and they are still technically illegal, as they are meant for a different car.
In reality, unless the inspector is very sharp eyed or eared, it's unlikely he would notice LS6 heads, and/or a mild cam, as long as it passes the sniffer/OBD2 test
Old 11-14-2005, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Hmm. Anyone in California had any trouble? I'd like some feedback. My cam will be pretty mild (TSP 224R) and shouldn't have any lope. All my mods will be Carb legal (shorty headers, cats, etc.). Do you think that even if I pass, I'll have any trouble? Mine's a '99, so I believe that means I'm only subjected to an OBDII test, right? Not the sniffer?
Old 11-15-2005, 12:01 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

your subject to sniffer, OBDII and visual. as long as you've got your AIR, EGR, and Cats in OEM location and pass the sniffer you should be good.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

It also depends on where in California you are, (per the CA emissions inspection site) some areas have enhanced inspections, some standard, and some only at change of ownership
Old 11-15-2005, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Well, I'll probably take it to get a test smog, before I have to smog for registration. If I pass that, I should be alright. Thanks everyone.