Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Kappa Perfect 6.1 speaker location

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 12:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Kappa Perfect 6.1 speaker location

I have a 98 SS M6, and I'm looking to get a set of 6.5" Kappa Perfects put up front down by the kick panels. Qlogic makes a pre made fitting OR I can have a stereo shop fab it up for me... Probably cheaper to go with Qlogics I'm guessing... Thoughts?

With a M6 will I have room to put the speakers down there, or does the clutch rule these component speakers out?

Tweeter location... Better to locate them in the kick panel enclosure, or bring them up and put them in the dash vents?

1 set of Kappa perfects for sure, but I'm thinking about getting a second set and putting them in the rear... More speaker locations, better surround sound, or will it just make it more distorted? Also will the rear speaker location be able to fit the Kappa Perfects, or do I need to have some custom fabbing done in the rear as well?
Old 11-15-2005, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

qlogic is good for being made already. that's it. they cause really bad peaks in your frequency response and a lot of resonance. it is fairly hard to make them sound good. personally, i would rather have an audio shop make them for you (if i had a camaro to play with i would do them for you for like $50 easily).

in terms of tweeter positioning, that's more of personal preference. mounting in the kicks will allow for good on axis response and will be on the same plane and have equal pathlength distance as your mids, but may also leave the sound stage too low for your liking. if you mount in the sails, the sound stage may be at an appropriate height but your imaging will likely be well off from what you went. there is also the option of the a-pillars, which allows for good on axis response and fairly good imaging as well, but will have some pathlength difference. this can be corrected easily with some Digital Time Correction (your HU may have this option, hopefully it does ) the best thing you can do is grab some double sided tape and try your tweeters in various positions in your vehicle.

when it comes to rear speakers, i generally advise avoiding them. the only situation in which i would permit them is when you will be carrying passengers in the rear frequently and are concerned with how well they will be able to hear the music. consider this: most music (non SACD or DVD-A) is recorded and encoded in 2 channel: a left and a right channel. in a home, surround sound makes sense because movies are recorded differently and have 5, 6, 7, 8 or more channels. but in a vehicle, it's impractical as you are merely adding more speakers playing the same channels. this is generally not a good idea, because when the sound from the front left speaker and rear left speaker reachs your ear, the soundwaves will be out of phase at some frequencies and in phase at some frequencies (meaning you will experience both constructive reinforcement and destructive cancellation). basically, you end up with really odd frequency peaks and dips in sound.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:27 PM
Staging Lane

So Neil, my question is if two speakers can handle the front sound stage, why do car makers always put in systems with 6-8 speakers? They usually try to cut costs as much as possible. I'm not trying to argue I'm just trying to put together a system for my car and honestly I'm just a little worried about going from 6 speaker locations in the monsoon system to just two. I don't want to cut corners as far as cost, just want to make it sound as good as possible. Any suggestions?
Old 11-15-2005, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

tis the nature of marketing my friend. while going from 2 speakers to 6 speakers might only cost them $30, this easily raises value for the vehicle by $100 or more. why? because people confuse "lots" with "good". a perfect example is the monsoon package. there is honestly, maybe $100 worth of equipment in there. but the monsoon package is much more expensive than $100

interestingly enough, i have had these discussions with many friends and/or customers. "i want 6x9's in a box on my back window" ummm, no you don't. generally the way i work it is that i quote them a price to do a single set of speakers the way i want it, and if they're not happy with it after that, then i'll do the rest of the labour for free. never has anyone asked that i add any additional speakers after this.

your mind can easily be fooled by marketing. placebo effect aside, your ears can only "fall" for science, ie. acoustical physics. this is the largest challenge for most people who are new to the sq world: put aside the marketing attack they have dealt with since they bought a vehicle and try to hear music in it's purity.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

so if i mounted the kappas in my ta/ just the fronts in door and tweeters in a pillar... and the mid speakers (not hatch) id have a good stereo quality sound> hoping so..
Old 11-28-2005, 05:54 PM
Teching In

punkorama is right in that the rear speakers don't really matter a whole lot. I had a '95 camaro vert, it had 4 speaker locations, two in the front and two in the back. I replaced the fronts with 5.25" rockford fosgate components, and mounted the tweeters up on the door right in front of the a-pillar (i think thats it) they sounded absolutely incredible, even with the supershitty stockers in the rear still. The warmth and clarity of the front speakers totally washed out any of the crap from the rear. and that was running them on 22watts rms off the pioneer headunit.

i have a '98 ls1 now with the monsoon system, and i wish that it wasn't so needlessly complex, else I would have replaced some speakers by now. I just don't feel like tearing apart my car again.