Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Adding AVIC-N1 to Monsoon?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding AVIC-N1 to Monsoon?

I'd like to know if there's anything more involved than 'plug and play' to put a Pioneer AVIC-N1 into an 02 SS with the Monsoon system? I'm asking because I know in a FAQ created by a member that if you add different speakers to the Monsoon that they may be made to recieve different ohms and not work correctly. So do you need to change any wiring, speakers, or the Monsoon amplifier if you add this headunit?

This is the piece I want because you can trick it to play a DVD while moving, and by the way I wouldn't watch it but a passenger could, and change navigation settings on the go. And as far as I've read you cannot yet do that to the N2s. I also thought the D1 would look nice and maybe even OEM but you'd need to cut up the dash a little because it's larger.

And I'd like to hear from people running this how they like it. The last thing I wanted to know is I know it is motorized to tuck away or display but can it swivel at all? For example, could it swing to the right a little for a passenger and a dvd or swing to the left a little so I could see directions better?

Thank you.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh yeah and when is the last time Pioneer has updated the maps? If I bought one, they seem to be hard to find NEW but there's a crapload of refurbished ones, would it be possible that I could get something outdated?
Old 11-15-2005, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So long as the h/u has speaker level outputs, it will hook up and play just like any other deck installation.

The Monsoon amp uses the high level speaker outputs from your deck as it's input, and depending on the vehicle the h/u may power the tweeters.

However if the headunit has no internal power, things become more complicated, because the stock amp has nothing to "sense" to turn it on.

Regardless if you are putting that kind of coin into a h/u, seems like a good a time as any to pick up 4 good speakers and a modest amp and be done with it. The monsoon speakers really are very crappy. They might sound ok to your ear, but if you A-B them to a proper aftermarket setup it's night and day.

Last edited by todddchi; 11-15-2005 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:13 PM
Ls1tech Bad Ass

Originally Posted by todddchi
Regardless if you are putting that kind of coin into a h/u, seems like a good a time as any to pick up 4 good speakers and a modest amp and be done with it.
agreed. if you're going to spend the money for a N1 do yourself a favor and scrap the monsoon entirely by getting new speakers...there are TONS of recommendations all around the site; but-- in order to install the N1 or even the D1 you are going to need to find the VSS (vehicle speed sense) wire in order for the nav to work correctly... other than that, its a pretty straight forward deck install.

if you wanted to go through the trouble of modifying the stock radio bezel to fit a D1 i'd highly recommend it. i've seen it done and it is CLEAN. those double din screens are very much worth the hassle IMO.

as for the whole maps thing, i'm not sure how they update their stuff but i'll look into it. i'm sure if they dont run updates via satellite automatically, there has to be newer software you can buy
Old 11-18-2005, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

So what's the word on whether it can swivel or not? I don't think it would but if it did that would be really cool. (Turn left/right)

And any word on the map updates?