Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plus of having a traditional split cam over a single pattern

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 07:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plus of having a traditional split cam over a single pattern

I have a 228-236,588-578 @114 How does this cam differ from a single pattern.I wanted to know the benefits of having this type the good and bad. I have the dyno chart if I can find out how to post it here.See my mods below.The car seems to pull pretty hard Thanks and take it easy on me I am still learning about cams and how they work.

01 ws6,silver,auto with a yank pt4000 stall,B&M trans cooler,DTS 12 bolt ,3:73,DTS support cover,complete BMR chrome moly panhard bar,adjustable torque arm,tubular control arms,driveshaft loop,strut bar,optima red top battery,k&n,slp lid,bg ram air mod,Mac headers,off road y pipe,magnflow catback,MSD wires,NGK plugs,smooth bellows,slp mass air flow,throttle body coolant by pass,160 stat,
2.02 1.575 manly racemaster valves with fully polished and ported heads Trend Fully hardend pushrods, COMP TI retainers, Dual Valve spring's
custom comp 228 236 588 578 114 ,ARP hardware,New Z06 gaskets. 393.6 @ 6200 RWHP and 352 @ 5000 torque on a mustang dyno
Old 11-15-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

without getting too techinal (there are millions of good posts on this site dedicated to the workings of a cam), the average joe will use the cam specs in order to help lagging parts of the setup. For example, if the exhaust sucks, then add lift and/or duration to the exhaust side, if the intake port sucks then vice versa. There are also cams specifically with forced induction or nitrous in mind. With 8 degrees difference in your cam, sounds like that might be what it was intended for.
p.s. no flames guys, this is just the very basics like I learned it from the old school guys
Old 11-15-2005, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Thanks and yes I have been searching old post and reading up.I think the previous owner was looking ahead to possibly adding a blower of some sort down the road .I was just looking for a simplified response and yours did help.If anyone else has some input or some facts please reply.Thanks.