Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fixing header leak, questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fixing header leak, questions

i just installed the pacesetter coated headers with emissions. i used brand new gm metal gaskets. i used the bolts and washers that came with the headers. the headers also came with 1/4" nuts and lock washers for the air fittings and the egr, but they did not send the 1/4" bolts . i went and purchased some. anyway, it's got a leak from hell and it's killing me,
i also installed the tsp ory, major pain . it would have been better with some instructions, diagrams or pictures. i had to modify it . now that it's done i really enjoy the way it sounds, even through the flowmaster, lol. my 3" borla adjustable cat back should be here this week. i have some questions before i hunt down this leak some more.

if the header flange is warped, can you use 2 gaskets and fix a header leak?

will an air piping inlet flange leak make the same noise as the header flange leak?

do band clamps seal good enough, or should i get it welded?

just curious
Old 11-15-2005, 08:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The headers with factory gaskets ought to seal good ya probably got a leak at the air tubes did the small gasket look good that u used! Also if ya get the Y pipe up good on the collector and it should work good with the band claps!
Old 11-15-2005, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

the headers came with paper gaskets for the air and egr tubes. that's what i used for those. one of the pipes in the y-pipe would not fit over the collector. it was a sunday, there where no muffler shops open. i rented a pipe expander from autozone and the expander broke. so i used a saws all to cut 8-1" slots all the way around the pipe so it would expandover the collector. the band clamp covers the slots. do you think it could be leaking from there? would the air pipes make the same sound as th eheader flange?
Old 11-15-2005, 09:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah a exaust leak sounds almost the same anywhere it should be easy to find if its bad!It could be the Y pipe if ya did modify it with a saw!I would pinpoint where the leak is and then go from there maybe it ain't to tricky sometimes leaks sound like they are coming from places they arn't!
Old 11-15-2005, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the help. i think i will get some OEM gaskets for the air pipe and egr and see if that fixes it. if not, i will take it the the muffler shop. maybe they can find it
Old 11-16-2005, 06:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

i found the leak this morning. when i started the car i checked for leaks at the air inlets. they where pretty bad. both sides are leaking.