Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC refrigerant pressure sensor bypass/PCM trick

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 06:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC refrigerant pressure sensor bypass/PCM trick

I recently removed the AC components from my '05 LS2 GTO. I'm having a problem with the cooling fans now. With the pressure sensor disconnected the fans come on at high speed upon starting the car and won't go off. Connecting the sensor results in the fans not coming on at all, regardless of coolant temp (which totally baffles me). Of course, with the condenser and the rest of the AC stuff gone, the sensor is basically a dummy now but it's messing up the fans operation. It's a 0-5v 3 prong sensor. Helms manual isn't much help. Someone on LS2GTO.com suggested a resistor. Does anyone know a way I can jumper, ground or bypass this so the PCM isn't thinking I have an AC pressure error and turning the fans on and off when they shouldn't be? Would a resistor indeed do the trick? If so, how do I go about doing it? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:38 PM
FormerVendor

the fan control logic should choose the highest commanded % from ECT and AC Pressure. Seems weird that the fans aren't coming on at all when you have the pressure sensor connected.

Remember the GTO calibrates the fans to come on at around 227F are you sure you are exceeding this?

Chris...
Old 11-15-2005, 11:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gameover
the fan control logic should choose the highest commanded % from ECT and AC Pressure. Seems weird that the fans aren't coming on at all when you have the pressure sensor connected.

Remember the GTO calibrates the fans to come on at around 227F are you sure you are exceeding this?

Chris...
I feel like such an idiot. You're right, of course. I'm used to dealing with GENI sbCs with thermostatically-controlled fan switches that come on around 190* or so. All day long today I was trying different things and letting the car idle to about 220* or so and shutting it down thinking the fans should have come on by then. I must have done so 20+ times. I just went out and gave it another try and the low speed fans kicked on right at 226* according to the DIC. This immediately brought the temps down to 212* or so when the fans kicked off. I went through the same routine 3 times and got the same results so it looks like everything's fine.

Thanks, gameover, for the input.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:56 AM
FormerVendor

no worries, i dunno why they are calibrated to come on at such a high temp compared to the ls1.

Chris...

Quick Reply: AC refrigerant pressure sensor bypass/PCM trick