Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Car, Detailing, Specifically Waxing process.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 12:23 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Car, Detailing, Specifically Waxing process.

Ok...so, I've read some of the threads on Waxes, Polishes, ect. I've had the scoob (see sig for reasoning) for about 2 wks now (going on three), and it's been washed a few times and had two coats of Maguires Gold on it. That holds up pretty good but I'm looking for something that'll help fight the eliments (as this car will sit out side). So anyways....

Prepping?

What is a "clay bar".

What things should I be clued in on as a "n00b" detailer. I'm not willing to invest in orbital buffers, and other stuff yet. Rather do it by hand. I like Maguires so far, but willing to try other stuff UNDER 15 bucks a bottle/can/tub.

What's the best three step (wash, preclean, wax/polish/seal) process to help keep the paint and clear in good shape and looking good?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by sb427f-car; 11-16-2005 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

A claybar is a bar of automotive clay that you rub gently over the paint (using a lubricant) in order to remove any surface contamination. You can pick up a Clay Magic kit or Mother's kit at most auto parts stores.

It's going to be hard to find much locally that will last for more than a couple of months. You have to order most of the more durable products (Zaino, Klasse, etc.).

The general detailing process for any product line:

Wash
Claybar
Wash as necessary to remove clay residue
Polish with abrasive and/or cleaner as necessary to remove swirls, oxidation, etc.
Seal/Wax

Some of the most important things for new cars are the proper supplies to keep the paint in good shape (ie. mitts, towels, techniques, etc.). *I* use Eurow sheepskin mitts and www.pakshak.com towels.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:41 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by ZaneO
A claybar is a bar of automotive clay that you rub gently over the paint (using a lubricant) in order to remove any surface contamination. You can pick up a Clay Magic kit or Mother's kit at most auto parts stores.

It's going to be hard to find much locally that will last for more than a couple of months. You have to order most of the more durable products (Zaino, Klasse, etc.).

The general detailing process for any product line:

Wash
Claybar
Wash as necessary to remove clay residue
Polish with abrasive and/or cleaner as necessary to remove swirls, oxidation, etc.
Seal/Wax

Some of the most important things for new cars are the proper supplies to keep the paint in good shape (ie. mitts, towels, techniques, etc.). *I* use Eurow sheepskin mitts and www.pakshak.com towels.
Shouldn't have to worry about too much "polishing with abrasive" since it's still new, and the paint looks pretty darn good. So, I guess that question is what kind of "cleaners" are out there. Are we talking like a pre-wax/sealant cleaner? Can that be done by hand? I did pick up some microfiber towles, mitts to wash with.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:50 PM
12 Second Club

Trade it in for a ls1 and you wont worry about looking pretty.. youll be to damn fast to look good.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just did a wash, clay, and both bottles of Klasse tonight. I used an orbital buffer for the first Klasse All in 1 for my first time (but after practicing on a truck). Second step by hand. My back hurts - haha. Hoping I'll be blown away when I take the wax off in the morning. I think that should be the right time because it says to let it dry and to wait 8-12 hours before doing another coat so I think I can just take it off tomorrow.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:24 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by 01ls1lover
Trade it in for a ls1 and you wont worry about looking pretty.. youll be to damn fast to look good.
I still need something to get back and forth to work in all weather. Besides, the LS1 is gonna be a project car in a few years after I get a house.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:46 AM
Launching!

The REX is Cool. But Following Zane advise is Sound I have an 05 Baja and Have done Those steps and many more .

Autopia.org
Detailcity.com