Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

double hump heads? good deal?

Old 11-16-2005, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default double hump heads? good deal?

a guy here local has some double hump heads, never ported and only 1 season of track passes on them from the total rebuild, stock valves with springs good to .600 lift. The gasket surface has just been resurfaced for installation. He wants to go bigger..ive got a 88 4x4. I have a carb on it now but i heard that the tbi heads sucked *****. I threw a carb and a big cam in it without changingn the heads so im sure its not perfoming like it should. I have a holley 600 vacuum secondary carb on it with a street dominator mani on it now, the cam is a comp extreme 262/270 .460, and a vacuum advance hei..i want to go fuel injected. i really would rather not pull the cam out since i put it in with a new timing chain etc..if i were to get these heads would they perfom well? what about if i wanted to go fuel injected such as a tpi setup? Keep in mind this is going to just be a driver, not a perfromance king. I would go with an accel dfi but that is $$$. I just did a little reading and found that the double humps really dont do much unless your spinning huge rpms..I know the best solution to my problem would probably be to just build another motor, small rv cam, vortec heads, and put a decent aftermarket fuel injection on it. But i would like to see what i could do with the way it is now..btw the guy wants 300 for the double humps..decent price?
matt
Old 11-16-2005, 12:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wouldnt bother with the double hups i think id switch to vortechs and may an rpm air gap from what i have seen they dont give much up until after 6500 but make great mid range
Old 11-16-2005, 04:57 PM
Staging Lane

the double hump heads are good to 300hp stock they are a lot better than the tpi heads by far the tpi heads are made to work with fuel injection so when you put a carb on them the dont perform as they should if it was me and i could get the heads for a good price i would do it the vortec heads are good and the make good power but they are pricey and you would have to buy a new intake.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redbandit98
a guy here local has some double hump heads, never ported and only 1 season of track passes on them from the total rebuild, stock valves with springs good to .600 lift. The gasket surface has just been resurfaced for installation. He wants to go bigger..ive got a 88 4x4. I have a carb on it now but i heard that the tbi heads sucked *****. I threw a carb and a big cam in it without changingn the heads so im sure its not perfoming like it should. I have a holley 600 vacuum secondary carb on it with a street dominator mani on it now, the cam is a comp extreme 262/270 .460, and a vacuum advance hei..i want to go fuel injected. i really would rather not pull the cam out since i put it in with a new timing chain etc..if i were to get these heads would they perfom well? what about if i wanted to go fuel injected such as a tpi setup? Keep in mind this is going to just be a driver, not a perfromance king. I would go with an accel dfi but that is $$$. I just did a little reading and found that the double humps really dont do much unless your spinning huge rpms..I know the best solution to my problem would probably be to just build another motor, small rv cam, vortec heads, and put a decent aftermarket fuel injection on it. But i would like to see what i could do with the way it is now..btw the guy wants 300 for the double humps..decent price?
matt
I paid $300 for the set on my dad's car 3 years ago. R these heads complete? If so 300 is not a bad price.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes that is complete..screw in arp studs, freshly machined gasket surface, springs good to .600, all just have one season of passes..only thing is if i dont need them then they arent worth the money..im going to post this here and if i cant get any help im going to post it somewhere else, (although i dont know where) ...here is my camshaft i have., anyone have an idea of what fuel injection i can get away with? this cam is not too radical but i dont know what the limit is as far as tuning a stand alone tbi,tpi, or multiport kit. I know the accel dfi kits can be tuned to almost anything, but they are too dam much money..i would like to just go with one of those tpi kits that alot of people sells..complete for like 1k. IF i could get a chip burnt for that cam,. i think it makes enough vaccum. I prolly just end up getting some aftermarket heads and trying to go with some sort of semi-priced fuel inection..ANY help

link to cam
http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Dy...62H-10_001.asp
Old 11-16-2005, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

i think vortech are about 500 then you can put a tpi or lt1 intake on them lt1 one would need alittle work to make work i think that set up should be good for 300hp. the hump head are ok but there old tech, they were sweet heads in there day
Old 11-16-2005, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes..im mainly concerned about the cam..i want to know if i can pretty much choose which brand/style/etc. fuel injection system i want to use (tpi/tbi/ramjet/stealthram/et etc...i just want to know if all of them can be tuned to run smooth with that cam..the sob lopes pretty good right now..i just dont want the fuel injection to load up at idle..want it nice and smooth..BUT dont want to pay 1600 for a accel gen VII..
matt

EDIT: I do still have my old tbi unit and tbi computer. I wonder if i could send the tbi off and have it rebuilt with bigger injectors and buy a aftermarket wiring harness and see if anyone out there could burn me a chip?
Old 11-16-2005, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you checked to see if they have provisions for accessories ( bolt holes ) , and combustion chamber size. I'm not a small block guru but something tells me some did'nt have holes and the cc was small like 55.? But if so, then 300 bucks is a pretty cheap investment for a little more power. But with a few hundre more you can get a decent set of aftermarket heads that will outperform.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

no..im not buying them..i was just more or less asking if that was a decent price..if so i may have just bought them and tried to resale them..i knew there was a good chance they werent what i wanted..i plan on getting some vortechs. just need to determine if i can roll the injection fairly simple or not.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

Just my opinion but Double Humps are good and the $300 is a good price but I think your biggest question to ask yourself is that whether or not you should spend the 3 bills for the old school tech or if you could take that and put it towards a set of say Edelbrock RPM E-Tecs for say $5-600 each then go with the fuel injection but I'll tell you all the F.I. options are exspesive. I just spent $2300 on the Holley stealth ram set up and thats the narrow band O2 sensor add $5-600 for the wide band set up, but in the grand scheme the motor is running prolly $7K and it's only about $500 over what it would run to do the carb set up I was gonna do. Any ways Good Luck.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes ..i agree..but its just like anything else i guess..i mean..i could look at it like this..why spend 2400 on just the fuel injection setup when i could get on ebay and buy one of those factory sealed 5.3 liters with most eveything minus the computer and a few little things for 1700? then spend about 500 more in getting the stuff for it to work and drop it in and have the super dependability and good gas mpg.? i dont know..just got to draw the line somewhere i guess..i dont know what to do really..i mainly want teh fuel injection for better mileage but the money i spend on the kit would buy a **** load of gas..hahaaahh
matt
Old 11-16-2005, 09:36 PM
Teching In

http://www.thirdgen.org/ ask these guys they should be able to help you out with whats available for tbi/tpi
Old 11-17-2005, 01:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by orange88
i think vortech are about 500 then you can put a tpi or lt1 intake on them lt1 one would need alittle work to make work i think that set up should be good for 300hp. the hump head are ok but there old tech, they were sweet heads in there day
Old 11-17-2005, 05:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by orange88
the tpi or lt1 intake will not work with the vortec heads the bolt holes are way off the vortec heads only have 4 bolts on each end
Old 11-17-2005, 08:18 AM
TECH Resident

Thats a Vortec manifold four bolts a side or like you said four bolts on each end but the TPI shouldn't work those were for old style heads the LT1 should though (I think) get that verified.

Oh and also you could go the crate motor route but it's not as much fun prolly less headaches though.....
Old 11-17-2005, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

just drill holes its not that hard to do
Old 11-17-2005, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

just drill holes (not sure if it would work)
i know my gmpp fastburns have both bolt paterns
Old 11-17-2005, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

the heads are not what im worried about, i know what i can use with what..im just trying to decide if i can use a gm speed density style of injection with that cam and what it would take to tune if iits possible..if i went with the vortecs..i would probably just bite the bullet and get the dfi setup with the carb style tb. i just would rather go with a tuned port or such to be cheaper, if i did that, ill just get a reg old set of dart sbc heads..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: double hump heads? good deal?