Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multiple Failed Murder Attempts

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Multiple Failed Murder Attempts

I can't kill my car no matter what I do. No, I am not trying to do it on purpose, but I am trying to get my idle to stay down. I think I am experiencing an effort in futility. My car only needs about .7 lbs/min at idle and could go lower without a problem, I suspect. Once it gets warmed up, it only sees between 3-4 degrees of spark at 700 rpms. I did this on purpose to attempt to get the idle to stay down. Everything has been dialed in pretty close as far as I can tell by scanning it. I've pulled the plug on the IAC motor to see if it would die. Nothing. I guess I am pulling way too much air with my setup at idle. There are no leaks in the intake track. I've searched up, down, all around, and even backwards. I've got the idle set to 650, but it will creep up to 850 on every drive. If I turn it off and back on, it will idle back at 650, but will go up again. Should I give up? The configuration is as follows: 422 block, 6.0L stage 2.5 heads, Fast 90/90, Dynatech 1 7/8 headers, and stock 2002 LS1 cam. Yes, you read that correctly. To answer again, no I am not broke and can't afford a cam. I know I could go bigger and still be stealth, but I have grown on this setup. It pulls out of the hole like a raped ape. The cam runs out of breath at about 3500, but I don't usually rag on my car. I shift at 1500 on a regular drive on my 3.42's. Anyway, am I correct in thinking it is just too efficient at idle as it needs no IAC ANYWHERE?
Old 11-17-2005, 09:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm, you said youve got a 90/90, so you didnt drill out the TB hole, did you?
Old 11-17-2005, 10:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

No, I didn't. I would see no reason to on a stock cam.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Its because you smell funny.

Send me your file and I'll take a peek
Old 11-23-2005, 12:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you'd let me take a shower after a hard day's work in the cotton fields, I wouldn't smell. I did a little live control and am now running -5.5 degrees at idle when warm to try to keep the rpms down. However, it STILL creeps back up. I feel like my car is in a limbo contest. So much for the rule of thumb of 22 degrees. I have a feeling by the time I get everything dialed in, it will be around -8.0 degrees. I'll probably send you my Frankenstein, I mean tune sometime this week. I change something on almost a daily basis just because I can.