Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To go vacuum modulation or not?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To go vacuum modulation or not?!?!?

I am currently looking a purchasing a new tranny. The two places I have it narrowed down two are both recommended on this forum. One converts the 4L60e to vacuum modulation and one leaves the force motor alone and lets the ecu take care of everything. Can anyone explain to me the pros and cons of each way of doing it? This tranny will be going in a 6000 lb truck with 350hp and 370ft-lbs to the wheels at 8psi of boost(more after heads and cam with more boost).
Old 11-17-2005, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the modulated trans. Then if it fails, the builder cant blame your tuning! Not to mention thepressure will react more quickly
Old 11-17-2005, 08:03 PM
Banned

Hey Listen up....I use vacume modulation because of the electronic controllers.....G.M. has 8-11 external controllers (external to the transmission) controlling the line rise....not to mention all the associated wireing harnesses,and connectors involved....then they have all the programming issues..all this Stuff (for lack of a better word) must work together flawlessly, under any driving extreme, or weather condition or reguards to age (of the vehicle)...... Not to mention any professional, or non professional doing the install and know what represents BAD line rise. How many of you actually check the line rise after the install?? How many times have you read on this fourm "my stock transmission went 80,000 miles and my built transmission only went 3000"?? We slove all these problems and more with the vacume modulator...In our situation it is a simple solution to many problems ...Not to mention It's a more reliable delivery system. I'm not saying everyone should switch,we run alot of stock modulation we charge an extra 2 hours on the install to check all the electronics, and make sure the system is working. This is a long post for that I'm sorry..I hope this helps Dave (IMO)
Old 11-17-2005, 10:54 PM
TECH Regular

How would I inform my local tranny shop of what parts and procedures would be needed to make the change from PWM to vacuum modulated? This would be on a 2000 4L60E.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:10 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by CoonToot
How would I inform my local tranny shop of what parts and procedures would be needed to make the change from PWM to vacuum modulated? This would be on a 2000 4L60E.
Get the kit from Pro-Built and it will all be clear.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I go vacuum modulated, will I have to do anything to the PCM so it doesn't throw codes since those associated electronics went away? I think I understand now that if you keep the electronics and it is not tuned perfectly or if some piece of electronic gear decides to have a bad day the cost of that could be the transmission.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TurboAv
If I go vacuum modulated, will I have to do anything to the PCM so it doesn't throw codes since those associated electronics went away? I think I understand now that if you keep the electronics and it is not tuned perfectly or if some piece of electronic gear decides to have a bad day the cost of that could be the transmission.
We also always useThe trans go kit, that converts to Vac modulation, on any high performance application. The kit comes with a pacifier so the pcm thinks the motor is still there.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CoonToot
I have a complete rebuild kit from Pro-Built that im tryin to sell right now. Im selling it because im going to a th350 setup.PM me if your intrested in it.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by EDS01SS
I have a complete rebuild kit from Pro-Built that im tryin to sell right now. Im selling it because im going to a th350 setup.PM me if your intrested in it.
I have a full warranty on my tranny, so any parts expense will come out of the tranny shop's pocket. Appreciate the offer nonetheless.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:31 PM
Launching!

Dave hit the nail on the head, very well explained.

If your running boost, you will also need to order the Pressure Bypass Valve, TransGo P/N "VBP-Vac"
Old 11-18-2005, 09:49 PM
Restricted User

Vacuum modulation is a very good way to go to eliminate some of the problems of the electronics. I agree with Dave & Team Tripp on this.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:34 PM
TECH Regular

Team Tripp and/or Pro Built-

1) Does the vacuum modulation kit, once installed, result in a fully manual tranny or is it still an automatic? I just can't see a fully manual tranny being too much fun in stop-n-go traffic.

2) Once the vacuum mod kit and pressure bypass valve are installed, are there ANY tweaks that need to be done to the PCM programming relative to the tranny? (Allen Nelson did my tune).

3) Do either of you sell these parts?
Old 11-19-2005, 06:05 AM
Restricted User

(1) It remains full automatic. (2) No. (3) Yes.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:54 PM
11 Second Club

what about the converter locking. both under normal driving and wot with vac mod?
Old 11-19-2005, 04:22 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

torque converter is still controlled by the PCM. Allthough fluid pressure during lock up may be better.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:49 PM
TECH Regular

So, just to make sure I understand...

Vacuum modulation allows for not only faster response time for fluid pressure raises, but it will also allow for higher pressures overall? And these effects apply at ALL throttle positions, correct?