Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

I think my synchros are getting shot.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 08:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think my synchros are getting shot.

I have a weird problem. A couple of weeks ago, I was driving along normally, and my shifter literally got stuck in 4th gear. I could not get it out of 4th no matter what I did. I tried: clutch in (of course), from a roll, standing still, ignition off/on, but nothing worked. It took all of my strength to push it out of 4th into neutral. I HAD to try because I was NOT going to pay for a tow truck or drive 30 miles in 4th gear. FYI, it really sux trying to go from a dead stop in 4th . So I got it out of 4th pretty violently.

NOW, I have a problem with 3rd. When under load or accelerating, the shifter stays in 3rd no problem, but if I let off the gas, the shifter pops out of 3rd into neutral. I am totally bypassing 4th gear now as I am fearful it will get stuck like that again. So, is my problem the synchros? Are they shot?

And of course if it is, this would require yanking the tranny out and rebuilding?
If so, what is a reasonable price to get the tranny rebuilt? I don't want to get raped, so it would help if I knew a reasonable fee someone would charge me. I am mechanically inclined, but no way will I attempt this on my own.

Thanks in advance.

Keys
Old 11-18-2005, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see your sig says bone stock. If you did a search you would already know that this is a bone stock worn 3/4 shift fork issue. Known and well documented - and fixed with an iron replacement.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yep waht he said and it could a prob with the shifter keys
Old 11-18-2005, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by calhoon
I see your sig says bone stock. If you did a search you would already know that this is a bone stock worn 3/4 shift fork issue. Known and well documented - and fixed with an iron replacement.
Yup, car is like it is from the factory. Ah yes, I did read about this a loooong time ago. I just forgot about the aluminum shift fork problem and people replacing them with steel ones.

Thanks guys, this is my prob.

Keys
Old 11-18-2005, 10:21 PM
wrencher

It likely also broke or shifted a syncronizer key (s) (are 3 per syncro) in addition to needing the steel 3/4 fork upgrade. Thats why they get stuck. A disassembly & inspection must be done.
Can upgrade those keys to the billet one, much stronger than stock.