Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Diagnosing a Broken Tranny Mount

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnosing a Broken Tranny Mount

First I'm up at school so I have no jack or lift that is accessable to me, oh and my spelling sucks but here goes. Lately I've had some severe wheel hop, and I think I may have busted the tranny mount. The shifter floats up and down a LOT more than what I consider normal. Also, there is, I guess the best way to describe it as a shimmying sound coming from the tranny. The sound is lounder than I've previously heard. Any Ideas or help would be great
Old 11-18-2005, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Most likely you will need to actually remove the tranny mount to see if it is broken. You usually cant tell when it is compressed under the transmission.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:27 PM
TECH Regular

The most obvious sympton will be a loud clunking/banging between the seats when you give it some gas, the first time it happens you will think your car is falling apart as you drive it.

Last edited by 8-Pack; 11-18-2005 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you've had your car for any period of time then it probably needs to be replaced. My buddy's car had terrible wheel hop and the tranny slammed around a lot. Sure enough we pulled the tranny mount and that ****** had a big old slit right down the middle. We replaced it with an energy suspension mount and that took care of the wheel hop problem. I think the ES mount was slightly cheaper than a replacement stocker, go figure.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Easy and cheap part to replace, the Prothane mount is easy to find at any Pep Boys, Schucks, etc. If your car isn't lowered, you could propably do it with your stock jack (located in the rear fender compartment) and a few large blocks of wood, bricks, etc. Very basic hand tools. Good Luck!
Old 11-21-2005, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the help, whenever i shift "briskly" i get a nice solid knock right under the console so i figure thats what it is. Ill be putting in a eurathane mount whenver i find out for sure if thats the prob...thanks
Old 11-25-2005, 04:10 AM
On The Tree

Well I came home from school for the holidays and dropped the support brace down to find this beauty....heading to mti tomorrow to pick up an ES tranny mount thanks for all the help really appreciate it. Sorry about the picture quality all I had was my camera phone.
Attached Thumbnails Diagnosing a Broken Tranny Mount-broken-tranny-mount.jpg