Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ET Head Combustion Chamber Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ET Head Combustion Chamber Question

Guys, i'm looking at some ET heads for a customer's 01 z06 and have a few questions. I'm mainly interested in the 215 cc head but want to know how the piston to valve clearence changes when specing different combustion chamber sizes. We will be going with the 11 degree head (it's my understanding that all the stock valve train parts work with the 11 degree head) and I understand the 11 degree valve angle gives you more p/v clearence over the 15 degree head. How do they change the combustion chamber volumes though? Are they milling the head, bringing the whole combustion chamber down closer the piston, shrinking the diameter of the combustion chamber, etc. etc.??? I need to know cause this guy wants a huge cam for huge power and i'd prefer for him not to have to flycutt. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone???
Old 11-20-2005, 05:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's my understanding that the chambers are specifically cut to the size you want. Kinda like Patriot does with their heads. A larger chamber just has alot more material removed in certain places. I don't think the valve location moves up or down any at all. FWIW, with the 11 degree, you'll gain about .150" over the stock heads.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Nick what specs do you wanto know? I have some sets in the shop, we are WD with ET, they will send me whatever we may need. If you have the cam for the motor your talking about, bring it by the shop early this week and we can check free drop with the head on a 2.08 valve. A 2.04 valve would definitely clear whatever that does If you dont have the cam yet, I have a few coming from Comp they can send out with them in time
Old 11-20-2005, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
It's my understanding that the chambers are specifically cut to the size you want. Kinda like Patriot does with their heads. A larger chamber just has alot more material removed in certain places. I don't think the valve location moves up or down any at all. FWIW, with the 11 degree, you'll gain about .150" over the stock heads.
Excellent, that's exactly the information I was looking for. thanks
Old 11-20-2005, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GrannySShifting
Nick what specs do you wanto know? I have some sets in the shop, we are WD with ET, they will send me whatever we may need. If you have the cam for the motor your talking about, bring it by the shop early this week and we can check free drop with the head on a 2.08 valve. A 2.04 valve would definitely clear whatever that does If you dont have the cam yet, I have a few coming from Comp they can send out with them in time
Well would you agree with what has been posted above for starters (by Beast)? As far as comming to the shop I'll take that into consideration. I have not ordered the cam yet and will wait until final word from Cary on the question i've asked above before I do. You know me, I like them big, and sine my customer does too it should work out pretty damn well
Old 11-20-2005, 06:11 PM
TECH Junkie

They have two standard deck heights, standard and +.060" I believe. Bolt holes are all raised .060 to match the taller deck height I believe.

From those two deck heights they are milled to reach chamber size. To do the 61cc chamber we have on a set in the shop, they were standard deck (.800") milled .006" for a total .794 deck height. I think my math and thinking is working right lol
Old 11-20-2005, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

They have two standard deck heights, standard and +.060" I believe. Bolt holes are all raised .060 to match the taller deck height I believe.

From those two deck heights they are milled to reach chamber size. To do the 61cc chamber we have on a set in the shop, they were standard deck (.800") milled .006" for a total .794 deck height. I think my math and thinking is working right lol
OK, but what do you know about them gaining the pistons to valve clearence of .150" when the valve angle is rolled from 15 to 11? I'll just give Cary a yell I think. Thanks Jeff, hope you enjoy your vacation.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:25 PM
TECH Junkie

its supposed to be roughly that. Its not just the rolled over valve angle thats buying that I dont think. I think the valve seat sits slightly higher then dead nuts stock location.

Cary is going to say it should buy you .150 free drop clearence. Then he will tell you to check your exact combo just to make sure
Old 11-20-2005, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

its supposed to be roughly that. Its not just the rolled over valve angle thats buying that I dont think. I think the valve seat sits slightly higher then dead nuts stock location.

Cary is going to say it should buy you .150 free drop clearence. Then he will tell you to check your exact combo just to make sure
Yeah, that's what I was thinking as far as valve placement, especiall if the position of the valve stem tip does not move (which would allow you to use the stock valve train components). Cool, and I agree 100%, it should be checked no matter what anything is "supposed to do".
Old 11-20-2005, 07:06 PM
TECH Junkie

stock valvetrain components an be used, but you must use a provide rocker pedastool from ET.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

stock valvetrain components an be used, but you must use a provide rocker pedastool from ET.
ok!

You know, I was thinking to that they could have moved all the bolt holes for the rockers as well (which may explain the need for their rocker arm cradle) and move the position of the valve stem tip to not move the valve too far up toward the intake (away from the headers). I would certainly think the closer the valves got to the intake the less p/v clearence there would be. I guess I just really need to talk to Cary. Thanks again Jeff
Old 11-20-2005, 08:16 PM
TECH Junkie

there is definitely more clearence. how much more we will see.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:01 PM
Launching!

Default valvetrain

we have moved all the rocker bolt holes and pushrod holes for proper geomentry. It also makes for more clearance on the tail end(pushrod) of the rocker to the inside of the casting where most other guys have clearance issues with adjustable rockers. note, they are also clearanced for a 3/8 pushrod. They do require using our pedestal mount for use with stock rocker arms, but that is the only special item required.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GregP@ETPerformance
we have moved all the rocker bolt holes and pushrod holes for proper geomentry. It also makes for more clearance on the tail end(pushrod) of the rocker to the inside of the casting where most other guys have clearance issues with adjustable rockers. note, they are also clearanced for a 3/8 pushrod. They do require using our pedestal mount for use with stock rocker arms, but that is the only special item required.
Thanks Greg, I called this morning and I think I spoke with Craig, you guys were really helpfull. Once again just to make sure you have two versions, a 62cc and 74cc in which you can mill them down to obtain whatever combustion chamber size we need right? I'm looking at something along the lines of a 60 cc combustion chamber with a .040 gasket for 11.5 is to 1 on a stock shortblock for the customer at hand. So I guess we would just start out with the 62 cc head and mill down to get the 60cc chamber. Also, is the above statement true, in which the altering of the valve angle from 11 degrees to 15 degrees gains approximately .150" p/v clearence? Thanks.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Junkie

yup pretty much nick. We have a 61cc set here 62cc base chamber minus .006 mill for 61cc
Old 11-21-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

yup pretty much nick. We have a 61cc set here 62cc base chamber minus .006 mill for 61cc
Alright, I will relay this information to Dave (customer at hand). I think he just may have me do a cam for now and fast 90/lsx and do heads a little later, that is until I tell him how awseome his car will be with these heads, ha ha. Looking forward to the results of this setup for sure. Thanks guys.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

One more question, would you guys agree that a DCR of 9 to 1 is a good rule of thumb to not exceed if you wish to run pump gas?
Old 11-21-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Junkie

i dont run it up that high myself
Old 11-21-2005, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont run it up that high myself
K

Anyone else?