Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

sts quality

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 01:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default sts quality

ok, I would prefer if someone who has been running the sts system for a decent amount of time or someone who would have good knowledge. I originally wanted a turbo system similar to the incon. The one iI want would be custom made ofocurse but that will cost be anywhere from 10 prob closer to 15g. Sooooo when speaking with a tuner on the subject I mentioned the sts. The individual personally didnt reccomend it I guess because the oil system wasnt as efficient and didnt work that well as far as where it is located with the rear setup and all, and I think he said the air filter or something is right behind the rear wheel. He just said he wou ld hate to see what probs would happen like a year or so after installing it with all the exposure to rain and dirt etc... Sorry for the long post but feedback would be appreciated. I want a turbo and all, but I dont have deep pocketbooks, and I would get sts, but I dont want to get a turbo and a year or so later start having lots of probs with it because of the rear set up. Also can you have an intercooler with the sts? Thanks a lot. =)
Old 11-20-2005, 01:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Although I don't recommend the STS system and you preferred posts from "STS users who have been running it for a decent amount of time," I'll tell you the FMIC is done and SHOULD be done, absolutely. The STS system IS proven and many members' times just keep getting lower and lower. If there are problems with the systems, no one is posting about them.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may have one on a truck, but here's my view. I've had it on my truck since last Feb with a FMIC and have put about 14,000 miles on it. I have not had one problem with it at all. I drive this truck every day and do not hesitate to jump in it and head cross country. As for the air filter location, I drive it in all weather conditions, rain, snow, off road and the only thing I have to do is clean it about every 2-3 months, as I drive on a lot of dirt roads where I live and it gets dirty a little faster then my stock filter did. I love the power it makes and would recommend it to anyone.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:53 AM
Launching!

I've had mine for a little over a year. Bang for buck - no equal. As for the performance questions that you have, I have been got caught in a down-pour once or twice where the filter has sucked in a bit too much water because of the location. Obviously, it bucked a little bit, but it was only temporary. However, I have the original air filter and sock. Apparently, they have a new one that they include in the kit which has a shield around it to prevent much of the water from hitting it. Looks pretty slick. That coupled with the sock, you shouldnt have any problems with it. Oil line problems? Naw, none so far.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

I've had mine on my 02 TA for quite some time and not one problem with it. I take care of my car and I do regular maintenance to it and it treats me well. I don't have problems with road clearance, I don't have problems with rain, I don't have problems with dirt getting in the air filter. They do make a shield now for the air filter or you can custom make your own. As for the intercooler, they are still working on an intercooler that will work without doing much repiping to the current setup. But, if you don't want to wait for them to finish it, a friend and I have figured out how to mount one but you have to do some repiping with it. Yes and intercooler can be done with it.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

I ran one for about a year with zero problems, ran awsome,oilpump worked flawlessly.I never scrapped anything and I drove it everyday in rain and snow!!!
Old 11-22-2005, 05:35 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

How much boost are you guys running on stock engine and what numbers are you getting? Also state what turbo this is with. Thanks!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 11-22-2005, 05:38 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Synergy Motorsports makes a really good front mount intercooler kit designed to work with the STS Turbo kits on the F Bodies. It is a nice design that includes everything needed. They are a sponsor on here.
Check out the Camaro SS in my project car section of my website, that has a front mount intercooler. Bob
Old 11-22-2005, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

many fmic's have been done with the STS
http://www.trtturbo.com/images/Chris...verman_003.jpg
http://www.trtturbo.com/images/Chris...verman_004.jpg
Old 11-22-2005, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

I'm running 7 psi on mine just cause i like to play it safe until I do some more work on her. I can run 8 on a stock motor and 10 at like two passes on the track. At 7 psi my car dynoed at 467hp/508tq. I'm running 12.5 at the track but only because I've only been twice and I need work on my launches and 60'. I'm running a consistent 118 mph quarter mile.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by trtturbo
Billy, I can't get over how good (bad) that TB tube looks. I can't believe somebody hasn't done it sooner. You guys do good work! On-thread: I am going to the STS this spring based on quality and results. I don't have any qualms at all.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:40 PM
Banned

We done a few kits locally (including my own car) without any issues . I would however reccomend an injector and fuel pump upgrade , and not upping the boost on a stock motor and if you do , do the fmic or methanol injection and don't go above 8 psi unless you get forged internals .

Billy May is the man , if you need a fmic check him out , he does real good work and is very knowledgeable on the sts kits (username trtturbo) .

Mike
www.neweraperformanceparts.com
sales@neweraperformanceparts.com
585-865-1832
Old 11-24-2005, 09:49 PM
12 Second Club

Hey billy, how much can I pick up one of those rain shields for?

And by the way, on topic, aside from driving my car in the rain and getting rain sucked up, I'm not disappointed in my kit in the least. It took quite the pruning to get it working because I'm a beginner w/ a little bit too much pride to be asking every 5 seconds what's up with it. But once the install was done it's been nothing but smooth sailing. Now I"m pushing 6.5-7# on high boost. The car pulls like nothing else I've been in.

STS... Highly Recommended.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:21 PM
TECH Regular

Have HC car stock ls1 bottom end w 11.1/1 comp can I run a sts wo any problems and how much boost with my comp?
Old 11-24-2005, 10:35 PM
Banned

That might be too much compression , I would really reccomend lowering the compression , or at least maybe only running 4 psi (you can special order a kit with a 4 psi wastegate spring) .
Old 11-24-2005, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I want 383 long block with FAST intakes ... the works and an STS turbo. Maybe a lil fifty shot for the hell of it. Now that would be bad azz. All I need is a few more pay raises and maybe I'll get there...lol
Old 11-25-2005, 12:04 AM
12 Second Club

Careful what you wish for Pipelayaz. A local guy around here had a 408 w/ an STS and thought too highly of the system and wasted his engine and the transmission.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:26 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by New Era Performance
That might be too much compression , I would really reccomend lowering the compression , or at least maybe only running 4 psi (you can special order a kit with a 4 psi wastegate spring) .
i would think you could just run a different tune if you have higher compression. i know of guys running 13:1 on turbo cars in classes that the huffers have a limit...spools turbo faster and ultimately makes more power.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:41 AM
12 Second Club

Maybe so. I do know that I believe the Milk Man to be the best F-body tuner on the East Coast and if he couldn't tune it to last then that 408 was doomed from the start.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by reocamaro
Careful what you wish for Pipelayaz. A local guy around here had a 408 w/ an STS and thought too highly of the system and wasted his engine and the transmission.
I would think a low compression 383 well tuned would run fine with the turbo? All depends on how much boost I run as well. I'm sorta a newbie at it all but that would be my personal setup to go for.