Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Headers For My 02 T/a

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 01:58 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best Headers For My 02 T/a

theres alot of brands out there but i just want to know witch is the best header that bolts right in with no cutting or using a BFH, pretty much that wont rubb on anything, im looking for long tubes!!
Old 11-21-2005, 04:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

SEARCH - There's usually ten or so threads at anyone time about LT's.

BTW - There is NO best. There's what ever you consider to best for you.

I mean if a set of headers out performed all others but cost $4000 would they still be the best??

As a hint try:

-Pacesetter
-Hooker
-Jet Hot
-QTP
-Kooks
-Satinless Works

All are good, just depends how much money you want to spend.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
SEARCH - There's usually ten or so threads at anyone time about LT's.

BTW - There is NO best.
As a hint try:

-Pacesetter
-Hooker
-Jet Hot
-QTP
-Kooks
-Satinless Works

All are good, just depends how much money you want to spend.
You get what you pay for. If you plan on keepeing your car for a long time, then look at this list in reverse order. LT's are not something you want to replace in 5 years. BTW: Stainless Works are the best I've seen. I only wish they were around when I was in the market (5 years ago). I can't complain too much though... my SLP LT's still look like new. (and Stainless Works uses better steel). Good luck
Old 11-21-2005, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

well there is a best , in bolt on power gain ... kooks is top line in power adding header , it is dyno proven ,,also the y pipe will do wonders , pending on type and style
Old 11-21-2005, 07:01 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

No complaint about Kooks but I prefer QTP HVMC. I use them on every car I build.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

Stainlessworks hands down and get them polished, jewel like finish no lie. They have highest quality stainless steel headers and y-pipe. They also make intermediate pipes and catbacks out of the same material. Kooks and QTP's are highly overrated because they have mild steel y-pipes . No automaker has put a mild steel exhaust on in years. What a joke, but the people keep buying them . Coated mild steel is like a sow in silk stockings. End of story.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:36 PM
8 Second Club

You sound like you have quite a bit of hostility towards KOOKS and QTP. It's such a shame all that jewel like finish will turn brown after they heat up. Show us proof they make more power and maybe I'll think about trying them. I couldn't care less how shiny they are.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:07 PM
Launching!

If you do a search you will find that Kooks and QTPs are consistently good performers.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Resident

Anothe vote for QTP headers. And the y pipe is aluminized with the flowmaster merge collector. Which flows like a ****!
Old 11-22-2005, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Firehawk441
You sound like you have quite a bit of hostility towards KOOKS and QTP. It's such a shame all that jewel like finish will turn brown after they heat up. Show us proof they make more power and maybe I'll think about trying them. I couldn't care less how shiny they are.
No hostility, if fact I considered buying both Kooks and QTP until I found out about their y-pipes. Come on, they (Kooks, QTP) make the headers out of quality material then stick discount tubing on the y-pipe. On top of that their pricing is about the same as Stainlessworks.

As far as power is concerned, show me that the Stainlessworks headers don't measure up. They offer primaries in several different diameters (1.5/8 & 1.75, etc.) and collectors (2.5" & 3.0") as well.

By the way, did you ever ask your engine what brand of header it has on it and did you get a reply? The engine don't know or care what brand is hanging off it. Comparing primary to primary, long tube to long tube, I would bet they all make more or less the same amount of power.

It doesn't make sense to pay top dollar to put inferior metal on your car. In a year or two of daily driving it will rust through and look and sound like
Old 11-22-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Depends on how much you wanna spend. You also get what you pay for. I'll probably just get Pacesetters b/c they're pretty cheap and aren't too painful to install. Just my $.02 though.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:15 PM
Launching!

thanks for all the replys but i still didnt get my answer, which is the best hedder that wont rub on the frame and has the best quality metal out there, price is not a issue.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run FLP LT's and love them. If I were in the market for LT's, I would purchase Kook's 1 7/8" headers. Proven results.

Search on the boards for them. Lot's of info

Andy
Old 11-23-2005, 05:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gnbooster87
thanks for all the replys but i still didnt get my answer, which is the best hedder that wont rub on the frame and has the best quality metal out there, price is not a issue.
Well there's always going to be 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. As I said there is NO BEST. Most people will claim what they have is best regardless. But hay it's just the way of the world.

There have already been several claims that Stainless Works are GOOD in all areas you are asking about.

So I vote:

Expensive and 1st choice - Stainless Works

Cheap for those on a bufget - Coated Pacesetters

In all, any good LT will make about the same BHP. If you're talking about making a 600bhp+ monster then you really need to taylor them to your EXACT requirements for the best results, and peoples opinions would be meaningless.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:58 AM
8 Second Club

Everyone seems to have the right answer. Keep searching the board and you will find the answer your looking for. Ours are are just a few opinions.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Do a search. You'll find this question is asked all the time. See what brands are preferred more than others. That will give you a better idea than just reading one thread.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have QTP headers. Love the headers. Look great, fit even better. I would buy them again if I had to. The y-pipe is a differant story. Wouldn't clear my UMI chassis mount t/a and it hang pretty low. But it works.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

QTP here. Quality-wise, they were great! I did not know there were different grades of stainless steel ( 304 ). Regardless, I polished mine too, and after several hundred miles, they turned a bronze-ish, and some other purple-ish blue-ish colors. They are still very shiny, but, not chrome-like reflective. Chrome will discolor too, though. The nice things about the SS metals is they a very resistant to rust, especially 304 SS. Coatings can scratch and chip, so be careful of that. Most of the time, manufacturers don' t coat SS steel For the supposed substandard y-pipe, for the QTPs, I' m sure you can scuff and paint some high-temp paint on it and still have years of good trouble free usage. I have done this on other headers and exhausts in the past, using high-quality high-temp paint, and never had rust problems. I have done this with my QTP catd Y-pipe, and the steel looks to be of good mild-steel quality. AND, it DOES have the nice Flowmaster merge collector.

As far as fitment, I can tell you, from experience on my car, these were WAY easier to install than my mid-length MACs. The passenger side slid right in, without having to remove the starter, even. The driver side required the car to be jacked up VERY HIGH, but, after getting the collector 100% verticle, slid in, with only having to remove the oil filter. I had to loosen mounts, and crossmembers for my MACs, so, as far as fitment, LT-wise, QTPs. The Y-pipe is a little different. Patience in a necessity, but with time, and a lot of room to work from under the car, you should be happy. Ground clearance isn' t too good, as I can only get about 3.5" inches at the most, under the drivers side cat, on a stock ride height suspension, so consider that.

QTP baby...
Old 11-23-2005, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

I went with Race style Pacesetter Ceramic coated. They slid in like butter, no beating, prying, cutting etc....I installed them by myself in a few hours and I hear their Y pipe has the best clearance of any. You'll want to go with a flowmaster merge or have the Y pipe ported.

Ordered at 4pm from TSP and had them on my porch at noon the next day for less than $400.00. The way to go IMO...