Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What setup for supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What setup for supercharger?

I want to put a ProCharger on my car. I have been looking at several options as far as block, heads and rotating assemblies for a few weeks now, and I just wanted to feel out what everybody's opinions are on the various options available.

First thing, budget. I am on a pretty restrictive budget, but that doesn't mean that if there is something markedly better available for quite a bit more money that it would be automatically out of the question. I can't really give a definite dollar amount, but I would like to stay on the pretty side of, say, 8,000. (that's for the engine only, not including the charger setup).

One of the main questions a am having trouble with is Iron block vs. Aluminum block. I see the pro's and con's for each as follows:
  • ***Aluminum-Pros***
  • Weight Savings
  • ***Aluminum-Cons***
  • Price
  • Durability
  • Bore Limitations
  • ***Iron-Pros***
  • Bigger Bore capability
  • Price
  • Strength
  • ***Iron-Cons***
  • Weight

Are there any issuses I am overlooking there? I am not talking about the LS2 (in that list of Pros/Cons) since I don't know what all is involved in swapping to an LS2 block.

As for heads, I am really just looking for a good (not great, can't afford great!) set of heads that will work with a supercharged setup.

I will need some cam advice, as I don't know what to look for that makes a cam a good blower cam.

What I really would like to do would be to buy parts in big, assembled chunks (an assembled short block as opposed to a block, crank, pistons and rods and having it assembled) and just bolt all the big pieces together.

Thanks in advance, I know you guys on LS1Tech will not steer me wrong!

Taco

Last edited by Taco; 11-21-2005 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:13 PM
10 Second Club

Well, opinions are like a$$holes, we all got one......I went with a forged iron short block from KJ @ SDPC ------> and bought LQ9 heads off Ebay & had them worked over. For a cam I asked around & finally bought one from Cam Motion. Now for my rationale:

All of what you stated + an alum block is sleeved. I heard of a few sleeves that slipped on FI cars.

The "experts" told me if I wasn't going nuts I didn't need hi-dollar heads for a s/c'd car.

Mr Futral runs a Cam Motion cam in his car.

Granted mine isn't together yet, but it looks good on paper. Good luck!
Old 11-22-2005, 05:15 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An LS2 block is $995.00, and only requires a few supporting items such as knock sensors and extension harnesses. Siamezied bores in the LS2 block offer better stability and with a stroker crank you will have a 402 cid. This is a pretty affordable route to take, and you will keep a lot of weight off the front of the car compared to an iron block. Add in a Callies Racemaster crankshaft, Callies Compstar rods, Diamond pistons, Total Seal rings, a good blower designed camshaft, and top it off with Patriot Stage 3 LQ9 heads with ARP head studs, and you will have a stout engine that can support a lot of boost. Throw into this combination a bottom end stud girdle for even more insurance, then add a FAST 90mm intake and a Nick Williams 90mm throttle body. Bob
Old 11-22-2005, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, that sounds like a very reasonable setup. Can you (since you are a sponsor!) get me some prices on all of that, or at least PM them to me. If you don't want to, that's OK too. I won't "hold you to" anything you quote because realistically, it will likely be in the spring before I have the funds to order anything, or I might just order the parts as I go and try my hand at assembly for a change! (Not the bottom end, I ain't going there!)

What I would like prices on is for an assembled short block (LS2 402, with the needed cross-over items, if you have those available) and the cam (I would like the specs or some ball park specs, just for my own curiousity). I have heard some not-so-good things about Patriot's heads, did they get those issues resolved or whatever the case may have been? I know their prices are very good! Also, I would like the prices on the intake pieces you mentioned as well.

Thanks in advance, and if anybody else has other options or setups, please post them up!

Taco