Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

whos 9" to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 01:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default whos 9" to buy?

I know that nobody can give me a "This is the best rear out there and "these people" make it answer" So i want to know of some experiences with 9" that some people have had. What rear and who makes it? what unit is in it?(Locker,spool etc.) Prices? and how you like it and if you could do something over what would it be? Im getting ready to buy one and its alot of money to screw something up and buy the wrong thing. The car is going to see much higher HP levels than in my sig it will be a single t-80or bigger turbo with either a C5R motor or 400+ CI motor so it will have to stand up to some punishment. It is an A4 with a brake at 3800+ RPM so please help me make a choice. Thanks

-Joe
Old 11-25-2005, 10:18 AM
Launching!

Here were my results........https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/412570-9in-definately-way-go.html Obviously I'm not at the power level you are talking about being at but I figured any info is better than none.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:57 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1999TransamWs6
I know that nobody can give me a "This is the best rear out there and "these people" make it answer" So i want to know of some experiences with 9" that some people have had. What rear and who makes it? what unit is in it?(Locker,spool etc.) Prices? and how you like it and if you could do something over what would it be? Im getting ready to buy one and its alot of money to screw something up and buy the wrong thing. The car is going to see much higher HP levels than in my sig it will be a single t-80or bigger turbo with either a C5R motor or 400+ CI motor so it will have to stand up to some punishment. It is an A4 with a brake at 3800+ RPM so please help me make a choice. Thanks

-Joe
I bought the moser housing with 35 spline axles & shortened 2.5 inches on each side for $985 + shipping. I went with strange engineering center section with a spool for $1,100. I had to use my old backing plates & press on bearings, had to paint it, purchased nuts for center section & backing plates (bolts were supplied by moser), 3" muffler clamps to attach stock sway bar & u-joint u-bolts.

It is installed but still sitting of the lift, I haven't driven it as of yet. I am pretty happy with the fit & finish so far. I don't like how the sway bar is sitting & I am contemplating an upgrade. I am also researching which driveshaft to purchase. It appears that I need a driveshaft approx 1" longer than stock. Hope this helps.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:23 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Assembled MOSER 9" from Moser needs some fabbing (axles came too long on mine and you do need to massage the driveline tunnel). Opt for a 1350 yoke (not standard).
After dealing with the Moser customer service (response was "well, just have the axles cut by someone"), I'd never go that route again. Billingsley is the way to go for any rear end.
SPOOL or LOCKER on a 9" for high power. Posi WILL break.

For an A4, I'd go with a Strange 12 bolt (even for high HP setup).
Old 11-25-2005, 03:47 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Several of my family members and friends run Moser 9" rears.....everybody seems to really like them.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Cough"Billingsley Racing"Cough!!!
Old 11-27-2005, 07:30 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks alot guys im still shopping around but im leaning on billingsly big time due to reputation and there work looks pretty stout. Thanks any other info is appreciated
Old 11-27-2005, 11:17 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1999TransamWs6
Thanks alot guys im still shopping around but im leaning on billingsly big time due to reputation and there work looks pretty stout. Thanks any other info is appreciated
Can't go wrong with billingsley, they'll sell you a moser set up by them unless you opt for their awsome race housing. It's pretty spendy though.