Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing asp pulley...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 09:31 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default removing asp pulley...

Got the puller from autozone yesterday. Went to Lowes and got the correct size bolts as well...cause the kit sure as hell did not come with them. I am trying to get the pulley off now...my question is; how hard do you have to turn this damn thing to get the asp pulley? I got it pretty damn tight a little bit ago, but I am afraid that I am going to brake somethin if I keep crankin on it. Do I just have to give it all hell to get this thing off? I am doing something wrong?
Old 11-22-2005, 10:03 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

I want this damn thing off! lol.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

Just keep cranking on that bolt until the pulley starts kreeping forward. Make sure the three bolts in the pulley are at the same depth so the tool can be evenly distributing the load being applied.

Stupid question but, you are loosening the crank bolt a little first so the pulley can travel?
Old 11-22-2005, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When i took my stock crank pully off it was a bitch. After i got the crank bolt out, it took quite a bit of effort to get the actual pully off too.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's pressed on... it will take some elbow grease to get it moving. Some break free easily, others fight all the way off.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:28 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Any step by step instructions for taking off the ASP? I know its a really simple thing to do...but I was not the one who installed it. Plus I have never delt with balances before.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:58 PM
TECH Addict

Kory, I tried sending you a PM, but your PM box is full.

You've got the right idea though. First, thread in the 1" longer crank bolt, then place the puller tool on the pulley with the 3 bolts. Next, you tighten the puller bolt so it can push against the head of the crank bolt, this will slide the pulley off the crank. Be sure that the pulley bolt stays straight when making contact with the crank bolt head so it won't deform/bend when applying the torque needed to remove the pulley. You will need to use a good amount of muscle (leverage works wonders) to get the pulley to start sliding off the crank snout.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:04 AM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Yeah I know...I am sorry about that.

Thank for that info Sebastian, I really appreciate it. I am going to get my *** back out there now and get it off now. Thank you
Old 11-23-2005, 09:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Lithium
Yeah I know...I am sorry about that.

Thank for that info Sebastian, I really appreciate it. I am going to get my *** back out there now and get it off now. Thank you
So'd you get it off or what?
Old 11-23-2005, 10:02 AM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Yep...took me all of 5 minutes. Came off without any problems. Now I can swap the cam

Thanks for all the help
Old 11-23-2005, 10:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

When you put it back on, heat it up. Some put it in the oven @ 200 degrees or so. It's better to just heat the I.D. of the bore with a propane torch. It will go on much easier this way. BTW, you can put it on by using the original crank bolt. The bore in the ASP pulley is stepped. This allows it to go on half way before it gets tight. That means it's on far enough for the crank bolt to get some thread engagement. Just turn the bolt until the pulley is on, then remove the original bolt, install the new crank bolt & torque it to spec..
Old 11-23-2005, 10:17 AM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Originally Posted by LS1-450
When you put it back on, heat it up. Some put it in the oven @ 200 degrees or so. It's better to just heat the I.D. of the bore with a propane torch. It will go on much easier this way. BTW, you can put it on by using the original crank bolt. The bore in the ASP pulley is stepped. This allows it to go on half way before it gets tight. That means it's on far enough for the crank bolt to get some thread engagement. Just turn the bolt until the pulley is on, then remove the original bolt, install the new crank bolt & torque it to spec..
Nice! thank you for that. Its going to be a big help as well
Old 11-23-2005, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Just be sure to go slow when seating the pulley on the crank with the original bolt, you wouldn't want to screw up the threads in the crank. Torque the bolt slowly and you should be ok.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lithium
Got the puller from autozone yesterday. Went to Lowes and got the correct size bolts as well...cause the kit sure as hell did not come with them. I am trying to get the pulley off now...my question is; how hard do you have to turn this damn thing to get the asp pulley? I got it pretty damn tight a little bit ago, but I am afraid that I am going to brake somethin if I keep crankin on it. Do I just have to give it all hell to get this thing off? I am doing something wrong?
Do you have the specs on the new crank bolt.I'am going to try to buy one asap. I received mine yesterday and no bolt was included.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by peterock98
Do you have the specs on the new crank bolt.I'am going to try to buy one asap. I received mine yesterday and no bolt was included.

GM#12557840