View Full Version : Cant decide on the hood

'Trust'
11-22-2005, 11:29 PM
My car is about to be part of a 2 year project, im putting new modded motor and all supporting mods by summer, and then by the next summer i plan on doing all my exterior stuff, i just cant decide whether i want to keep the stock hood or get a ram air, i like how mine looks, then some days it just looks weak, and the ws6 hoods look so sick, i just dont know though, vote please

PontiacFan
11-23-2005, 07:33 AM
Raptor, which is more of a 'Firehawk' style, yet does not require you to cut your front bumper in the hood area like the Firehawk hood does.

zman1969
11-23-2005, 07:39 AM
i voted ram air because plain is just plain, my car has a nice aftermarket ram air hood and i think its too much so i will be adding a firehawk hood -soon (waiting for painter) so if you want a ram air hood mine is black and near perfect let me know im a little north of Dallas area too. can get you pics if you like :)

madprops0
11-23-2005, 08:53 AM
End the madness in your mind by not getting either....get a mayhem hood it still has that base hood feel you like but on steriods :judge:

Angus
11-23-2005, 09:15 AM
I prefer the Raptor hood.

DrEvyl
11-23-2005, 10:00 AM
Well, as someone who's owned two Raptor cars, I'll throw in my $.02 here.

Personally, I am not at all happy with the fit and finish of the Raptor hood. I don't think I've ever seen one that fit perfectly, both of mine had some pretty big gaps. My current one drives me crazy the gaps are so big... so much so that I will probably take it off the car eventually. The design of the Raptor intake is also very bad, and the quality has gone down hill over the years. You'll have to cut the stock bellows from the MAF to the throttle bottle to make it fit worth a damn. If my Formula did not have a Raptor hood on it when I got it, I would not have bought one a second time. My car looks great from 15 feet away, but the closer you get the more wrong things look.

Raptors aren't the worst ones out there, though. The only hoods I have ever seen that fit good are the OEM WS6 and Firehawk hoods. I would opt to cut the bumper for a Firehawk hood over doing a Raptor again. I would even choose a stock Formula hood over the Raptor.

Just my opinion.

'Trust'
11-23-2005, 10:11 AM
i like both the slp raptor hood and the raptor hood that resembles the firehawk one, but i dont like them the most, my favorites are the firehawk hood and ws6, i just dunno if i shoiuld get one, zman which hood do you have?

PontiacFan
11-23-2005, 12:06 PM
slp raptor hood and the raptor hood that resembles the firehawk one

Uh, do you mean the SLP H.O. hood? As there is not an SLP Raptor, ...
Raptor I believe is made by Suncoast.

SLP - H.O. / Fits stock F-body with no cutting
SLP - Firehawk / Requires cutting, No going back here, ...
Suncoast - Raptor / Fits stock F-body with no cutting
GM - WS6 / Well, I shouldn't have to go on any further, ...

And of course there are many other choices also, ...

y2k_ta
11-23-2005, 02:42 PM
Out of 10 votes, so far I'm the only one that says go with the stock one. But I knew I'd be outnumbered anyway... :(

~JOSHUA
11-23-2005, 03:17 PM
Be original. Don't have ANY hood!

Honestly, I think the SLP h.o. hood looks like a hemmoroid. :barf:
The WS6 hood used to be my favorite-
now I think the Firehawk/Raptor hood is the best balance of maturity and aggression.

ZEEMAN
11-23-2005, 04:31 PM
I want the raptor but i have heard horror stories about fitment. I will either risk it and go with it or go with a VFN WS6 hood

zman1969
11-23-2005, 04:48 PM
i like both the slp raptor hood and the raptor hood that resembles the firehawk one, but i dont like them the most, my favorites are the firehawk hood and ws6, i just dunno if i shoiuld get one, zman which hood do you have?
i believe its a suncoast but im not sure. it was on my car when i got it. the ram air scoops go all the way back (seem kinda tall to me)and has the hot air release at the back of them. like i said i can get you pics if you want - email me at rwhoag.camaro@comcast.net as im not a regular on this board
thanks
Rich

Black Raven
11-23-2005, 05:01 PM
I would go with the raptor hood, but now that I hear people talk bad about it not fiting right, I would stick with the stock one, go sleeper!! :devil:

Luna
11-23-2005, 05:20 PM
VFNs WS9 is pretty good looking, a little bit different but still looks like it belongs. I like the HO and the Raptor hoods as well but I really would rather wait a while to see if anyone produces a Superhawk style hood.

BTW if you are going for mostly performance I would put the money for a hood towards something else

'Trust'
11-24-2005, 12:20 AM
the h.o hood is what i meant, my fault, i'd be doing this after the car is done mechanically, which looks like it'll be sooner than i had planned!

Louie83
11-24-2005, 02:01 PM
I get complements on my Firehawk hood all of the time. It's so damn sexy and stylish.

Transcoupled
11-24-2005, 04:53 PM
I was a fan of thews6 hood but now that I have my ws6 wheels...I like the way it looks with the stocker.

JerseyLS1TA
11-24-2005, 07:55 PM
The only hoods I would get would be a GM WS6(even if it costs a lot more) or an SLP H.O hood.

infinitebird
11-24-2005, 08:02 PM
Out of 10 votes, so far I'm the only one that says go with the stock one. But I knew I'd be outnumbered anyway... :(
I prefer the stock hood as well. Looks cleaner and more sleek than the WS6 hood IMO.

PoorMan's Z06
11-26-2005, 01:26 AM
i have a t/a with a ram air hood and it looks much better and meaner than my brothers stock t/a. not to mention, the ram air hood (all fiberglass) is alot lighter than the metal factory t/a hood. a little less weight here and there can go a long way! to each their own i guess...

jargan04
11-26-2005, 10:55 PM
I just painted mine.

http://www.c-computers.com/paint-2/10.JPG

nrayome98TA
11-29-2005, 03:59 AM
I like the SLP Ram Air HO hood. I almost got one when I hit a deer back in june.
SLP took forever and kept saying next week so i cancelled and have a stock GM non-WS6 hood just like I had before. I want my car to look stock you wouldnt believe how many people think since its non WS6 they're way slower! Oh well let them think I'm slow :devil:

epic
12-20-2005, 09:26 AM
Firehawk hood; though some may say I'm a little biased.

Formy
12-21-2005, 03:41 AM
SLP H.O. Hood. It is the look of the Firehawk hood and WS6 hood combined. I just love how it sets me apart from the rest.

nhra-trans-am
12-23-2005, 01:52 AM
i think ws6 looks the best

cablebandit
12-23-2005, 08:30 AM
I liked the Firehawk hood...cost too much at the time so i got the raptor hood which I really like the looks of as well
http://incontt.com/images/car/after.jpg

'Trust'
12-23-2005, 11:56 PM
Theres just something about that WS6 hood, i like it alot

badjuju342
12-24-2005, 03:34 AM
Well , instead of giving you my opinion, I'll throw a couple of pics at ya. Second one: stock base hood on my NBM '01 T/A. First one , WS6 hood. You tell me which looks better.

'Trust'
12-26-2005, 06:54 PM
For some reason the stock hood looks heavier, i know it cant by looks but theres something about it, maybe the fact that i know its heavier, anyway i think the WS6 hood looks sweet...when i have enough cash after the new motor i think i will be leaving the no nostril gang

bww3588
12-30-2005, 08:33 PM
go for it. i went to look at a WS6 and i took my buddy. he stood outside while i drove it out of the garage and he said its the only car to scare him that he wasent in. just the sight of the Ram Air hoods looks lethal.
i heard a quote somewhere
"an SS looks like it could kick your ass if it wanted to. But a WS6 looks like its coming over to do it."

transamLs1
12-30-2005, 10:36 PM
go for the raptor style ram airII or III those r sweet there is one sellin on ebay for 400 it has a crack but its where you cant see and it is small but u can repare it with some putty good luck though i am lookin for a hood but i cant afford one right now cuz i just bought new valve springs and a LG motor sports G5 cam

drunk chicken
12-31-2005, 12:28 AM
i am working on a new hood for my 2001 WS6. Im taking a stock "flat" firebird hood, cutting a hole in the middle and adding a shaker scoop to it. not sure how it will look yet. going to take forever though. the OEM shakers from the 2nd GEN's are too small to work so we're making one using fiberglass. I'll let you know how it goes!!!! :rock:

mumu_624
12-31-2005, 10:39 PM
dont you want more power.........the only way you to get a base hood is if your short on money but if you got a T/A i dont think so.....Get a WS6 Hood