View Full Version : what rods and pistons...

caindo
11-22-2005, 11:34 PM
... what specs are the stock ls2 rods and pistons? i'd like to maybe swap to forged rods/pistons while the motor is out, but keep it stock stroke and compression. but i can't find any ls2 specific rods/pistons aftermarket. thanks.

Jon

caindo
11-23-2005, 08:12 PM
ttt and stuff.

FastKat
11-23-2005, 08:58 PM
stock rods are 6.098" center to center, so use a 6.100" rod. Don't know about the pistons though... from what I've found, you pick your pistons first because the piston dictates how long of a rod you use. Some aftermarket pistons are set up to give you the same position at TDC (0.010" above deck is stock for 5.7L LS1s) while using a longer rod. You best bet is to call a sponsor and get your rods, pistons, etc all at the same time from someone who knows what they're doing!!

Bill Reid
11-23-2005, 09:06 PM
Get away from an LS1/LS6/LS2 specific rod/piston assembly... they are more expensive than SBC parts that will fit.

Go with a 6.125 small block chevy rod... LOTS of choices. Eagle H Beam is CHEAP and STRONG. Oliver, Carillo, Lunati, and others for brand name...

JE, Diamond, Mahle, and others make a great forged piston to fit the 4" bore on a 6.125 rod... either on a 3.622 or 4" crank quite readily.

Stay with standard size ring assembly's... metric = $$$

Play with Ross' calculator here ... http://www.rosspistons.com/calculator.php

0.054 GM MLS (multi-layer steel) is a great gasket...

Know your chamber size... figure it out on the calc...

Bill :)