Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What else do you need to run true duals out the back? Were talking everything.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking What else do you need to run true duals out the back? Were talking everything.

After doing a few searches all Ive found was pipe selection. But every shop Ive talked to, even one with a mandrel bender yesterday, are fed up with installing these on our cars. So, Id like to get a few questions answered.

To run the exhaust out the back what do you need?

Ive seen mentions of panhard relocations. Ive seen these at our sponsor's pages, but where does it relocate to? How much space does that give? A lot?

What about getting newer torque arms? Smaller ones help?

Anything else in the way?

And ultimately, could one take some suspension parts completely off, put up the exhaust, and then wait for ordered parts to ship in and replace the suspension parts that were removed? In other words, is the car safe to drive minus some parts that may get into the way..
Old 11-23-2005, 06:59 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

It can take some time, and shops don't like the
aggravation factor. I did fabrication/welding for years and
we always turned down custom exhaust jobs b/c a one time job
(on the clock) would be too expensive for the
customer, and our crew were perfectionists.
If I had a lift and a welder at home I would tackle one,
time permitting. Hell, I've welded everything else, it seems.
It's not rocket science, but time consuming.
I believe you can get an offset panhard that will allow
some more room in the axle area to run pipes.
Is the car safe to drive with suspension parts removed?
Never thought about it. Too much chance to screw
something else up, probably.
If ya got the time/equipment, go for it.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

The last time that I did mine (2nd time, 3rd will be next month) I had my bends and pipe and I would piece it together on the car and use my arc welder to tack it together. Once I had the pipes over the axles like that I pulled them off and took them to the muffler shop. The guy charged my $20 to MIG weld all of the joints.

I can't believe more people don't go over the axle, it is so easy to do. You have to get your own hangers mounted, but that is about the hardest part. Use a stock intermediate pipe for the passenger side and add a hanger somewhere to keep it in place. Now you are 50% done. Buy two 2.5" ID-OD mandrel bent elbows from the dynomax catalog. Make a twisted "s" with them and that gets you over the axle between the panhard bars. Hang that in place. Where it rubs the upper panhard bar you will need to grind that bar down for clearance. Assuming that you have an x-pipe that will fit your headers (I bought a used TSP without the mufflers for the current engine) the hardest part is done and a muffler shop should have no problem welding in mufflers and tailpipes.

I did this with an LT1 using an H-pipe with cutouts run into LT4 vette mufflers under the bumper (REALLY quiet or really loud).
Old 11-24-2005, 09:39 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread will show you some pictures and information that will help:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/294197-finished-my-over-axle-duals-pics-inside.html

I believe I talked about the panhard bar relocation, and you'll see some pictures of the over the axle sections. Let me know if you've got any more questions.