Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.7 LS1 block repair?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 07:45 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 5.7 LS1 block repair?

What is the limit of repair for a damaged block?

I have a 2000 LS1 from a Corvette that lost #7 rod (hydrolock). The rod snapped and got on the side of the block causing a fracture. It also sweeped around and nipped the bottom edge of the #7 cylinder sleeve and sleeve housing. I have some pics of the damgae but they are too large to post.

Gave $250 for the assembly sight unseen. The heads and other parts appear to be okay. The intake is damaged at the rear where the vacuum T goes in for the brake booster.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:51 PM
Launching!

These are terrible pictures, but you might be able to get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails 5.7 LS1 block repair?-block1.jpg   5.7 LS1 block repair?-block2.jpg   5.7 LS1 block repair?-block3.jpg   5.7 LS1 block repair?-rod1.jpg  
Old 11-23-2005, 07:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can I ask how you got hydrolock?
Old 11-24-2005, 04:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fotoboy
Can I ask how you got hydrolock?
This was not in my car. It was a 2000 Corvette that got flooded in a parking lot. When the owner went to start the car the engine locked.

The engine was replaced with a new crate motor.

I was going to get it for free but ended up having to pay the parts manager the "core" on the block. I picked up the intake, fuel rail, injectors, etc. from a friend of mine off another car.

The first one I bought like this is now in my 69 Camaro. I was able to save that one with a crank kit. Didn't get so lucky on this one. Still hoping it is repairable, but it doesn't look so good.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The question you ask my friend is one that I don't think anybody here and answer with a positive degree of certainity. You didn't get ripped on the deal because I'm assuming the crank is AOK and the heads are probiably worth $150 or so themselves if it is what you say it is. Back to the block, if there is a hole in the side of the block then I would most definately have a machine shop look at it that specializes in aluminum repair. As for the nick in the cylinder wall, I wouldn't chance that. I imagine it can be fixed but you would have to install an aftermarket sleeve and so on. Then comes the question of how much money you want to get wrapped up in this thing. Like I said it's awful hard to even guess without seeing it in person.

Quick Reply: 5.7 LS1 block repair?