Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PIC's inside, Making my own tu-duals over the axle

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PIC's inside, Making my own tu-duals over the axle

I'm making custom duals in the home garage. Fortunately for me My y-pipe was custom made w/a magnaflow y/merger collector. Well the x- pipe the make has the same centerline radius as the y-pipe. So all I have to do is, cut the y off and the x will connect perfect. After it goes over the pass. axle I'll cut it right before it goes in the muffler, chuck the old muffler and the **** that branches off it for our tips. I will take the intermediate pipe and the over axle pipe as a whole and have it duplicated twice in 2 1/2" pipe. Bring that home and clamp it up to the x and bam!! Tru-duals over the axle. I will then drive it to the exhaust shop so they can go from where I left off over the axle and run me out some tips. By the way I will be cutting out a section in each I-pipe for splicing in sweet thunders. I will tack everything myself including hangers and have the shop charge me to just weld it. I will be putting flanges to disassemble in all the right places. Here are some pics to give you the idea of what I'm doing.
Attached Thumbnails PIC's inside, Making my own tu-duals over the axle-100_5443.jpg   PIC's inside, Making my own tu-duals over the axle-100_5450.jpg   PIC's inside, Making my own tu-duals over the axle-100_5452.jpg   PIC's inside, Making my own tu-duals over the axle-100_5454.jpg   PIC's inside, Making my own tu-duals over the axle-100_5451.jpg  

Old 11-24-2005, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm seriously looking into what it's going to take to make some 2.5" true duals. Right now instead of buy 30 aluminized or stainless steel bends, I'm looking into buying some cheap true duals for another car as one option.
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...ctDisplayPopup

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...ctDisplayPopup

Obviously you'd have to ditch the mufflers, and I'd probably still end up having to buy some stainless piping and bends for the rear of the exhaust where it would be very visible. Also have to buy some 3" to 2.5" reducers and an X-pipe.

Then there's also the sweet all stainless steel exhaust kit from stainless works.
http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/842RB225X.jpg
Old 11-24-2005, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

I don't how that would work out ? sounds complicated. My process is verry simple because of the way my y-pipe is designed.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Duplicating the compound bends over the axle will be the hard part. That's why I'm thinking of using the prebent tubing from another car. Using those bends as raw material to create a dual 2.5" system seems like it might be easier than just using 90 or 180 degree bends.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

I know a guy that can copy it in about 10 mins. so I guess I'm lucky, all he needs is what the factory one looks like and he will produce me 2 just like it in 2 1/2" pipe.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does he have a mandrel bender or just a pipe bender? Mandrel bent pipe is the only reason I'm considering buying the prebent exhaust. A pipe bender will severly reduce the cross sectional area of the pipe on some of the sharp radius bends needed to get over the axle.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

Mandrel
Old 11-25-2005, 10:56 AM
TECH Junkie

please keep this updated with your progress
Old 11-25-2005, 10:55 PM
TECH Resident

Im gonna cut the y out in the morning, I'll show pics tomarrow. Just remember this was a little easier for me because of the way my custom y pipe was done. even the routing for the intermediate and over axle pipes are practicly lined up perfect.