Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust ideas

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 02:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust ideas

Hey everyone. I'm pretty indecisive when it comes to my car and always like having the ability to change my setup, no matter how slightly. I've decided that Corsa is the exhaust for me, and may quiet it down a bit though, with a Spiralflow in the I-pipe. I came up with a new idea though: the same killer sound, with a stealthier, sleepier look. I LOVE my Corsa tips, but they attract attention, so here's what I was thinking. When I want to make my car look a little more unassuming (racing, just cruising, whatever), take off the Corsa tailpipes...wrap then up so they don't get dusty or scratched, and leave them at home. In their place, I would clamp some 3" turndowns directly from the muffler, and point them down and back, at a roughly 45* angle. I've seen this done before and kind of liked it. This way, the car would sound the same, if not a little meaner, I could keep it a little stealthier visually, and it's not permanent. Opinions?
Old 11-25-2005, 10:17 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Turndowns off the muffler look good, I've know people with that type of setup. Only thing is, once you ditch the driver's side tailpipe you have to find some other way of supporting the system, because you loose that hanger that holds the whole left side of the system up.

I've seen a couple different fixes fabricated to work around that issue, but both required welding a metal bar either off the muffler or the turndown and drilling a hole somewhere else to bolt that bar to the car and secure the system.

Here is a pic of a third gen that a friend of mine owns. He has the setup you're talking about:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...81926191iCpaXh

I know he welded a bar to the muffler and bolted that bar to some fixed loaction behind the muffler to support the system.