Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Any employers or HR managers? I have a question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 07:44 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any employers or HR managers? I have a question?

My question is about what you are or aren't allowed to ask people on an application for employment? Question #1. Criminal history. What can I ask about criminal history, can I ask about felony convictions, DUI's etc? and also what is the law or pulling a driving record? DO I have to ask permission or can I just do it? Question #2. Workmans comp claims. Is it illegal to ask about previous workmans comp claims? For instance could I put a question like this on an application.... Have you filed for workmans comp in the last 5 years... If yes... explain? I'm just curious if I'm allowed to ask those questions and if anyone has any experience with this?
Old 11-25-2005, 11:16 AM
Launching!

Not sure about the second one but you can ask if the individual has been convicted of a felony and they are required to tell you on their application. I'm not sure about misdomeaners but felonies are a definate. As far as driving record you can pull it but I think you need to let them know you are doing it. The easy way to justifiy it is to tie some sort of driving requirement to thier job description (ie. may have to pick up parts, drive a company vehicle, pick up customers, etc etc). Your workmans comp insurance company would probably be able to answer your second question because the laws can differ from state to state.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep, hes right above. DUI's will show up on driving record and you dont need to ask or have an excuse. You might simply be looking for character values or past judgements.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:57 PM
Teching In

You can ask question #1 and I would have a company do a background search. ( Must have them sign a consent form that you will do a criminal back ground chec)k. Question #2 is a no no. What you can do is ask if they have any disablity that will prevent them from doing the job.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can ask on an interview a specific question if it is related to job related capability. If for instance a job description (and you should have one to be consistant and out of trouble) requires someone to lift 75# three times a day, you can ask that legally.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:01 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks guys, see here is the story. We had a guy apply for a job. He happens to be kind of friends with my uncle. We know for a fact that he left his last 3 employers after being "injured" on the job and collecting large amounts of $$$ in settlements from them. We are not going to hire him, but I was just curious if I was allowed to ask those questions. The guy is a dirtbag, and we told him we wouldn't hire him because he has no license due to his second DUI conviction, and he wouldn't be able to drive our company trucks. But in reality even if he did have a license we wouldn't hire him, we've had no workmans comp claims in the last 7 years, so our rating is low, but one decent size claim could cost us alot of money, so he isn't worth the risk. We just happen to know this guys background, but I wish you could find info like that on anyone who apply's for a job.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Tim you better be careful. These guys know the system. What position did he apply for? Was it specifically for a position that required driving? You're always better off staying very general when you want to pass on a guy. Ok sir weve got your application and were reveiwing it, but there are several other candidates that we need to take a look at.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:34 PM
9 Second Club

Position was a plumber, it requires that he be able to drive one of our service vans to different jobesites, customers homes etc... Some of our guys can put on 200 miles a day. There are days that he would be able to ride with someone else, but not always. We have tried hiring guys in the past that had no license, but it always became a nightmare to try to schedule around them and there were somedays that we almost couldn't use them.

We have been hiring for over a year now, we pay much beter than avarege for the area, we have profit sharing, a bonus plan, health insurance and a 401K plan. But we are looking for skilled labor in a very thin market. Our applicants generally consist of young (20-24) highschool dropouts looking for a career and not so recovering alcoholics in their 50's that are looking for a "career change". The problem with both of those groups are that neither one have the skills required to work indipendently and need lots of training. And most of the time after 3-4 weeks they quit or we find out that they are completely worthless and were only out looking for a job because their wife or parents were going to kick them out or it was a requirement of their parole (not kidding, we get lots of those).

So thanks for your help, I'll just keep looking and dumpinf $$$$ into advertising.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nautilus
Position was a plumber, it requires that he be able to drive one of our service vans to different jobesites, customers homes etc... Some of our guys can put on 200 miles a day. There are days that he would be able to ride with someone else, but not always. We have tried hiring guys in the past that had no license, but it always became a nightmare to try to schedule around them and there were somedays that we almost couldn't use them.

We have been hiring for over a year now, we pay much beter than avarege for the area, we have profit sharing, a bonus plan, health insurance and a 401K plan. But we are looking for skilled labor in a very thin market. Our applicants generally consist of young (20-24) highschool dropouts looking for a career and not so recovering alcoholics in their 50's that are looking for a "career change". The problem with both of those groups are that neither one have the skills required to work indipendently and need lots of training. And most of the time after 3-4 weeks they quit or we find out that they are completely worthless and were only out looking for a job because their wife or parents were going to kick them out or it was a requirement of their parole (not kidding, we get lots of those).

So thanks for your help, I'll just keep looking and dumpinf $$$$ into advertising.
too bad VT doesnt interest me as a full time settlement. good luck finding someone worth while tim. and let me know when i get to come up and look at the car
Old 11-26-2005, 10:11 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Humvee z28
too bad VT doesnt interest me as a full time settlement. good luck finding someone worth while tim. and let me know when i get to come up and look at the car
I'll be down at eastside tomorrow, the motor is back in the car, gary just has to finish it up. I should be down there around noon. I wont have the car up here until wed or thurs.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:55 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You bought gary's car.. good to hear someone that was in with the shop bought it. You gonna try to run the whole series with the car, or just a few times a year?
Old 11-27-2005, 08:23 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
You bought gary's car.. good to hear someone that was in with the shop bought it. You gonna try to run the whole series with the car, or just a few times a year?
I kept it a secret for a long time... thanks Just kidding I'm going to run it every chance I get. Don't expect me to get ken's times out of it for now though, I'm going to run it on motor for the first few times out, then I'll have them start turning it up. I was planning on building my own car, but when I was told his car was for sale, I couldn't pass it up. AS for running "the whole series" I think you mean the Ls1tech series? And in order for me to run in that I'd need a few things first 1.) Be running fast enough to compete 2.)Feel comfortable in the car enough & 3.)Make all of my license passes first... I would love to, but I'm not sure if I will be ready this year... we'll have to wait and see

EDIT: Oh yeah, and now that I have 2 eastside cars... How do I get a damn eastside sig
Old 11-27-2005, 10:15 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nautilus
I kept it a secret for a long time... thanks Just kidding I'm going to run it every chance I get. Don't expect me to get ken's times out of it for now though, I'm going to run it on motor for the first few times out, then I'll have them start turning it up. I was planning on building my own car, but when I was told his car was for sale, I couldn't pass it up. AS for running "the whole series" I think you mean the Ls1tech series? And in order for me to run in that I'd need a few things first 1.) Be running fast enough to compete 2.)Feel comfortable in the car enough & 3.)Make all of my license passes first... I would love to, but I'm not sure if I will be ready this year... we'll have to wait and see

EDIT: Oh yeah, and now that I have 2 eastside cars... How do I get a damn eastside sig
talk to Sean, he'll make ya one
Old 11-27-2005, 03:16 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Good to hear. I"m sure that you'll get used to it quick enough. That car, on motor alone should be a mid to low 11 second car I'd think at the weight it was.. start off on a easy 100 shot.. then add the 2nd stage in for another 100... by the ned of next summer, you'll have that lic and all that taken care of.. and be heavy into it, time and funds allowing.

Congrats on picking up one of the best running cars I've seen.. probably the best running car from that shop. Just glad to see it went to someone that will race it and not mess it up. Definate good buy.. way smarter choice then doing one yourslef, that's for sure. Bet you saved yourself 30 grand in the long run.