Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is SD tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is SD tuning?

What is this, what does it entail and how does this tuning method optimize the rwtq and rwhp??
Old 11-25-2005, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SD tuning, ignoring the MAF and entering the amount of air into a rpm vs map table, calling it a "VE table" so the computer can assume the mass of air entering into the motor, instead of using a sensor designed to measure the mass of the air to provide this data to the computer.

A slightly biased answer based on my point of view, but a factual representation of the process.

Maf = good

Ryan
Old 11-25-2005, 09:40 PM
FormerVendor

SD is Speed Density. The LS1 uses both MAF and SD and alternates them as needed. SD tuning eliminates the MAF's input from determining timing and fuel requirements. All timing and fuel is determined off the VE table by using the MAP and RPM input. If your car is fairly stock I would leave it alone. Many times with highly modified motors, the MAF can make tuning a bit of a pain in the ***. By eliminating it you have more direct control over the PCM. This is something very beneficial on forced induction motors. Not to mention it removes another restriction from the intake.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:52 PM
TECH Junkie

try searching for SD. You'd be surprised how much info is out there
Old 11-26-2005, 09:18 AM
Teching In

I'll take a properly set up MAF over SD any day.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

everyone pretty well explained it... there's more info in the stickies

I personally prefer speed Density... it's easy to tune and eliminates a restriction (If you choose to remove the MAF... especially useful if you have a FAST 90or LS2 intake manifold ... since they don't make a 90mm MAF... it eliminates a restriction)

seems some prefer to run on a MAF others prefer SD ... SD is really a failover mode in our cars..

One thing that's kinda funny ... alot of mustang guys (5.0 mustangs) do anything they can to switch over to a good MAF setup .... whereas seems late model GMs are the reverse.... heh

once you have an SD tune done, then you can also calibrate your MAF if you choose (a properly calibrated MAF will make idle tuning and regular tuning considerably easier ... or you could stay SD and it's still pretty easy)
Old 11-26-2005, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, it is kinda funny that the ford guys love maf, and the gm does not. Seeing how both pcms work, I can understand why, the ford is more of an alpha-n system with tp vs rpm vs VE, where the LS1 uses a map sensor and has a real speed density setup, knowing more about the engine load that the vehicle is under.

I do like tuning a ford vehicle correctly in about 30 minutes with a maf. 30 points and your done.

Ryan
Old 11-26-2005, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive Seen What A Tuner Can Do With Sd, And The Truth Is That The Car Pulls Harder Then With Maf.. Dunno Why.. My Question Is I Wanted Sd Tune On My Car 408ci With 240/247 639/647 @114 But Ive Been Told That It Cant Be Done Because Of The Cam, Why Cant Tuners Do Sd Tunes With Radicall Cams??
Old 11-26-2005, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by pewter 01 SS
Ive Seen What A Tuner Can Do With Sd, And The Truth Is That The Car Pulls Harder Then With Maf.. Dunno Why.. My Question Is I Wanted Sd Tune On My Car 408ci With 240/247 639/647 @114 But Ive Been Told That It Cant Be Done Because Of The Cam, Why Cant Tuners Do Sd Tunes With Radicall Cams??
I do not see why you can not go to SD. I am running SD but my cam is only a 233/233 595/594 @112. Does anyone know why he can not go to SD with this cam?

Bill
Old 11-26-2005, 01:45 PM
TECH Junkie

I'd call you tuner and tell him someone on the internet raised the flag on him

My cam is slightly larger than Bill's and I'm running OLSD no problem.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the large cam can cause problems with a proper MAP reading. However, unless you've got a huge cam it shouldnt be too erratic to tune well in SD. Dont know what this is called but i know there is a name.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Wheather you want to run MAF'ed or MAF-less, you should do a SD tune anyway to correct the VE table, and then if you want to run a MAF, you should recalibrate the MAF table.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:22 PM
Teching In

SD, Wish the world would be so simple.
1. MAF and VE is used under 4000rpm.
2. MAF is a restriction, depending on size, to the intake so limits HP. Note: not a concern on mildly modied cars. Note: if you port you maf you will need to re-calibrate the PCM.
3. SD, you can do this Wideband or NarrowBand! You can also turn of LTFT and limit close loop mode. The drag racers uses this method as they can command the AFR to 13/1.

MAF is good for emisions and fuel, SD is the way to go for racing. SD narrowband is in between.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks For The Info. Indeed My Car Was Tuneable With Sd Even With The Huge Cam 240/247 639/647 @114.. The Tuner Used The Sd Tune To Correct The Ve Table Then Put Back On The Math.. I'll Try To See If We Can Do Sd Alone. Does Anybody Know If U Can Do Sd Alone In 408ci With This Cam And Nitrous?? Can A Sd Tune Be Done For Nitrous Applications?
Old 11-28-2005, 07:23 PM
Teching In

I would say Yes but did the Tuner tune the VE with Wide band and if they did why did they put the MAF back on? Has the car been on a dyno?
Old 11-28-2005, 08:15 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

many people do not understand how important the VE table is...
IF you still have a MAF you still need the VE for Part throttle.
basically anything under 4000 rpms and changing throttle conditions is VE. your MAF is only used in Steady State conditions....which is defined under airflow-dynamic airflow...
so if you dont tune your VE, you have tip in knock and crappy throttle response.

You dont need the MAF at all...you car relys on your IAT...which means that cars with IAT in the MAF need to buy a seperate IAT if they want to get rid of MAF totally...

I have been in SD for almost 8 months now.....
there has been no changes to my VE LTFT's in that time..climate here changes a lot
was 70*F outside 3 days ago...very next day it was 20*F!!! no change in trims as I was working on a writeup for tuning Open Loop Table..still in teh works....trying to get a definate way to do it..have tried 3 different things.....geting a lot closer now...think I have it...just need to do an actual writeup now...

many tuners put back on teh maf after doing VE tuning..and forget to recalibrate the MAF to match the VE that they just tuned....LOL

and to the comment above that says the MAF pulls harder....
Try My car....or any SD tune that I have done....
for the mods on the car...pulls way harder than with MAF on
Old 11-28-2005, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

not sure if he did it with the wideband, he fixed my idle problem then drove around minewhile he turned of the maf and went for a few runs going through the gears therefor getting the VE readings for each RPM in everygear.. we ran out power in the comp and there interegrated the VE of the maf and the VE readings that were acquired while the car was in SD mode. the car hasnt been on the dyno. the only thing that i was wondering about was that can a car be tuned with out MAF(SD) for a nitrous application?
Old 11-28-2005, 08:22 PM
8 Second Club

Thanks For The Info. Indeed My Car Was Tuneable With Sd Even With The Huge Cam 240/247 639/647 @114.. The Tuner Used The Sd Tune To Correct The Ve Table Then Put Back On The Math.. I'll Try To See If We Can Do Sd Alone. Does Anybody Know If U Can Do Sd Alone In 408ci With This Cam And Nitrous?? Can A Sd Tune Be Done For Nitrous Applications?
Yes...you can tune SD mode for a 408 with that cam..and spray...
no problem

the cool thing with nitrous is that its usually fuel controlled by the jets...
so you just tune VE like normal(with a wideband)
and then you can use a controller to take out timing for spray...or you can do it in the IAT correction table using 284* and wire a resistor up to the IAT with a relay switch based on your Nitrous window switch...and you can do it without an extra controller
Old 11-28-2005, 08:23 PM
8 Second Club

not sure if he did it with the wideband, he fixed my idle problem then drove around minewhile he turned of the maf and went for a few runs going through the gears therefor getting the VE readings for each RPM in everygear.. we ran out power in the comp and there interegrated the VE of the maf and the VE readings that were acquired while the car was in SD mode. the car hasnt been on the dyno. the only thing that i was wondering about was that can a car be tuned with out MAF(SD) for a nitrous application?
forgot to say that I have done 3 nitrous tunes here in the KC area..all 3 were SD
Old 11-28-2005, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

but has anyone done dry nitrous? lol. i like dry n20 and feel that it would be cool to do with the right tuning software might even save money over the window switch, wot switch, and a progressive controler. Only problem might be real time demands.