Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need help choosing my turbo!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 12:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help choosing my turbo!!!!!

Ok, ive got two choices right now on turbos to buy to start building my custom turbo kit. My goals are to run about 8-10psi and make atleast 500rwhp on the stock engine. Sometime next year im gonna get a 402 or bigger forged internals and then am going for 800rwhp or more. So I am trying to plan ahead, but i know it may not be possible. So here are the two turbos i am looking at using. I have no idea what the numbers i am writing mean, thats why i need help.
Garrett T70 P-Trim w/ T4 mounting flange
.60 AR compressor
.81 AR exhaust

The other one is a
T4 60-1
turbine AR .60
compressor housing AR 1.15

And i wanted to ask about wastegates. I saw one that has an adjustable spring to 19psi and its 50mm. Would this be a good one to use on my car, and can i use this in conjunction with an electric boost controller?
Old 11-26-2005, 01:19 AM
TECH Regular

Come on guys, i need help on this one fast. I want to purchase one of these this weekend and time is running out. I am planning on using this winter to build the kit.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think that if you are going with a 402 in the future that you want at least a GTS76 to at least feed the 402 when you get it..... just keep the **** turned down when you have your stock motor....
Old 11-26-2005, 02:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well what I would do and what i am doing is going with the bigger of the two and just turning the boost down until you can get the bottom end forged...Remember you can always turn the turbo down but they have a limit to how much power you can make from one...As for the Wastegate you can EITHER use the spring or you can use the electric boost control to let out the pressure...If you're going to stay with the six speed, which I am also, I would recommend the turbosmart e-boost...You can control how much pressure you turbo will put out in 1st-6th....This would be smart so that you don't drop like 18psi in first and burn the hides off...You can set it to like 6-8psi for first and then step it up from there..it's kinda expensive but a very neat tool...What kind of hot piping are you going to be running?? You're going to probably need turbo headers to get that much horsepower cuz logs just won't get you there...Hi-flo should be selling the hot parts if I'm correct but you can contact them on here to check them out...Good luck and keep us up to date...
Old 11-26-2005, 02:29 AM
9 Second Club

On a stock LS1 a 76 will run like crap... I made over 500RWHP on a 60 Trim with 8.5lbs of boost. I would recommend a 70 or 72 trim at most. For both a 346 and 402.

http://media.putfile.com/TA-STS-Dyno
Old 11-26-2005, 02:40 AM
TECH Regular

Ok, how about this one. It is between the top two and this one.
Super T70 Turbo
shaft and wheel trim 64.5mm
compressor wheel 60.5mm
turbine housing AR .84
compressor housing AR ratio .70
with wet float ball bearings and it comes with a 40mm wastegate and a brand new BOV all for $400 bucks.
Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal and will get me what i want. Well i know its a good deal, but will it produce what i am looking for? Also can any turbo be used on any car. I think this is originally intended for a high output import, would it matter though?
Old 11-26-2005, 02:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you'll be pushing a 60mm compressor to even make 500rwhp on a stock cube motor, let alone try to feed a 402 in the future.

IMHO, look for something in the 72+ range minimum if you don't want to buy another turbo for the large motor.

a ball bearing turbo, gate, and BOV for $400 screams FISHY to me.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:17 AM
TECH Regular

Ok hawk how about this one?
GT35/40R
Dual Ball bearing
.82 AR exhaust
.70 compressor
82mm compressor wheel
Would this turbo work well with my stock motor as well as a larger CI motor?
Old 11-26-2005, 03:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm jumping to the T88 cuz of everything that I'm going to be running with it and I'm shooting for the same goal as you...I'm looking to have somewhere around 850rwhp @15psi, gmpp intake+intake elbow+105mm throttle body, good flowing heads with maybe 2.08" in 1.60" ex, front mount, 4inch dp, complete dyno tune and a forged balanced and blueprinted 348ci motor....I may switch to the 408ci iron block but everything else will stay the same...for me I rather go too much than too small because if you try to push too much air with the small turbo it will have an adverse affect and heat up the air therefore dropping the density of the air and make less power...I don't know what exactly all of your plans are but I've seen alot of guys make that power with less than what I plan and with a 346ci with a t76...I think I remember the super T70 that you're talking about on ebay and have read many articles about it and it's junk....If you want a sound turbo set up just spend a little bit more money and do it right the first time so that there will be no second time...I heard that the turbo you're talking about falling apart and having bent shafts after only a few hundred miles on it...I'm not saying that you have to have it built to the extreme that I'm building it but you should look around on this site and see some peoples dyno numbers and what they're running...that will give you a good idea of what you need and the torque curve to see if it will be what you want...
Old 11-26-2005, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

Steer clear of E-Bay turbo's unless you know exactly what you need and the vendor can prove to you what he is selling. You will be much better off going with a reputable company....Let them help you size the turbo....
Old 11-26-2005, 01:27 PM
12 Second Club

I have similiar goals to you and im looking at a GT42 74 or 76.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:03 PM
TECH Regular

Ok last one i am looking at. I am thinking of going with the T70 P-trim for now. I would be buying it from proturbo. So would this turbo give me what i am looking for as far as performance, quality, and longevity goes?
Old 11-26-2005, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

It would probably get you close but you are going to have to do heads and a good intake to take full potential of the turbo to get you to the 800rwhp...What are all of your plans for this engine?? What kind of intake, head and fuel setup are you looking to go with??? You're probably going to atleast need 60# injectors and anything over that you're going to maxing them out...I'm going to be going with 83# injectors just because if I get the bug again and want to go more I can...You could probably see well over 700rwhp with a properly setup and tuned 402ci but that's probably going to be the limit of it...What psi are you looking to make this power at?? That also has to be taken into consideration....I don't know how much you know about FI but a good rule of thumb is around 7% increase of power per psi...So if you can get your engine to make 400-450rwhp then you can get there fairly easily...But like I said you have to know pretty but everything that you want to run to see if you can get there...but the main thing is fuel, fuel , fuel...cuz if you don't have the fuel just know that it will leave a huge crater in your piston...Good luck
Old 11-26-2005, 11:31 PM
TECH Regular

As for my fuel needs, i was gonna just get whatever i need to run 800+ hp. I was thinking of the 83# injectors also though. Cause i will probably up the boost even more later. I am planning on running it on the stock engine at around 8-10 psi depending on when i start to see KR. I will have a a2a intercooler and methanol injection. Then i plan on getting either the 402 or 408 iron block, with all forged internals. At that time i think im looking at getting a turbo cam, stage 2.5 LS6 heads, dropping the compression to around 9:1, and going with the 90mm LSX and TB. I would like to see 800 rwhp at this time on pump gas only, and i am guessing at around 15-18 psi. I will ofcourse be changing out the turbo once i get the new block and internals, will probably go with something capable of around 1200hp or so. Maybe a T88 would work. So any advice as to what i should start out with to get me going in the right track. I really dont wanna spend money twice, like buy new valve springs, and then get new heads that come with valve springs. Waste of money.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by longrange4u
On a stock LS1 a 76 will run like crap
Not necessarily. Just use a .68 housing on a q-trim turbine and then get a .81 housing for the larger motor when you get it.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Ahh man that sounds a lot like a knock-off SSAutoChrome eBay ad... I'd be very careful, sometimes you get what you pay for... it's important to "know when you don't know"... not trying to be an a$$hole, but don't want to see you get burnt on on $400 worth of parts!
Old 11-27-2005, 06:35 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, im gonna stear clear of the ebay turbos and just buy me one from a reputable company. I dont wanna get taken, that would really ruin my day. Also decided not to go custom and just buy a premade kit. It would probably take me forever to make my own kit and i dont really have the time anyways.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

That sounds like a good idea man...I've also seen some guys on here that have taken some 6.0 truck manifolds and turned them around and made a kit out of that if you don't want to buy turbo headers right away...They're many options, my best advice would just to read and see which one that fits your needs...But I think that you're definitely going to need that monster T88 to get your to your final needs...And if you chose you can push past those...
Old 11-28-2005, 10:12 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

IF you plan on going to a 402 in the future, then you are going to need a REAL turbine wheel. A p-trim would be flat out garbage on a 402 and you will only dream of 800rwhp in the future with it. The best unit to start out with would be the base GT42-74. Unit will make 500rwhp easy with low boost and max at around 700-750rwhp with a 402, spool fairly quick and the compressor wheel is upgradeable for more power later, which can then take you to 800rwhp and beyond. Also the unit is quite cost effective. We use these unit quite a bit. Also the PTE-88 is a great unit, but using that unit on a stock engine will be quite laggy indeed. If you are stictly looking for a budget unit then we have the MPT-70 which is only $629, but it does use the P-trim turbine and is done at 600-650rwhp. Sound like you might need to sit down and think what you are shooting for now and how serious you want to get in the future. You don't want to buy a turbo now and then buy another unit later.

Jose

Quick Reply: Need help choosing my turbo!!!!!