Sponsored by:

cam spec details

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile cam spec details

Hey!

hope this is qualified for this advanced forum...

how do the specs on a cam affect things, like for example, I know duration reflects the length of time the valve is open/closed etc. and lift is how far it opens, my question more specifically relates to lobe separation, what effect does that have?

or...what are the features that affect the sound, I would assume duration would have something to do with it, but lsa might also? would a low lsa 108 sound better, or high like 114???

basically, rather than asking for someone to pick a cam, I would like to know for myself which features affect what!!!!!!!

thanks in advance
Old 11-26-2005, 12:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not sure on the sound part, but more LSA increases peak HP at the cost of lowend tourque. check out this link. It's from LS1/LS6 internal engine forum.
***cam guide***[/URL] https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/327734-cam-guide.html
Old 11-26-2005, 12:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by thunderdan74
not sure on the sound part, but more LSA increases peak HP at the cost of lowend tourque.
ok, that helps, so I would assume the opposite, would be a low lsa would increase torque?

I'm really hoping to find out exactly what part of the cam makes a mean idle sound also, but I'm also looking to learn everything about cams!!! thank you!
Old 11-26-2005, 12:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old wise man say 'big lift + long duration = mean sound'
Old 11-26-2005, 03:24 PM
TECH Resident

wiser man says mean sound not always=power
Old 11-26-2005, 04:27 PM
Banned

You cant pick a camshaft based off of sound. You will be very dissatisfied if you do.

Its a balancing act to work with duration and lift. Look at lift on the intake side as a way of letting it all in. Sometimes there is no such thing as too much lift on the intake. There CAN be too much lift on the exhaust side. You want to match your intake duration based upon a few factors like where is maximum lift according to maximum piston speed. You want to look at when you want to close the intake valve door as the piston travels back up. The exhaust side plays a roll by figuring out when your pumping losses might occur. It also helps dictate low speed driving and smog. This plays a factor in your added power band or RPM range as well. As well as turbo, supercharger, nitrous, N/A, Overlap, ect.

So you can see there is alot to picking a camshaft. Hope I did not confuse you, but I only want to give you a reason not to base picking a camshaft by sound quality.

Rick
Old 11-26-2005, 04:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Rick@Synergy

So you can see there is alot to picking a camshaft. Hope I did not confuse you, but I only want to give you a reason not to base picking a camshaft by sound quality.

Rick
Thank you, all of this info helps, I am not planning on choosing by sound alone, however, I want to compromise and get the best sound, while still maintaining being in the proper for my car. I'm not racing, [much] basically, I just want it to run healthy and sound real good. so looking for a good compromise there, I bought a cam off of someone's word before that it was a mean cam, and noone could tell it wasn't stock, it was such a smooth idle, I just don't want to make that mistake again, so trying to do my homework!!!!!
Old 11-27-2005, 08:20 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

If you are shopping for a cam with "sound" as part of the criteria, this post doesn't belong in the Advanced Performance forum. Your exhaust system has more to do with sound than a camshaft. Try putting headers and a cutout on a stock LS1 and it will sound mean. You could even drop the idle rpm a bit on a stock cam via tuning and it will lope.

Tony