Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got done with exhaust install

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got done with exhaust install

Well just got done with my 02WS6. Put Pacesetter LT's, TSP ORY, and SLP dual/dual on. Still have little bit more to do cause it's leaking a little bit and hitting a little bit under driver seat. But to tell you guys something here first off if you can do without the emission crap do it, they are pain in the *** to hook things up and get in the way. But to be honest guys i don't know if it's because it's leaking or what but i'm not impressed with it. It sounds pretty good at idle and getting on it a little bit. But when you really get on it this thing sounds horrible. I don't know whats up does it need time to break in or you think it could be the leak which don't sound too bad?
Old 11-26-2005, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put a cut-out on it. Then get on it. It will sound mean. Or try another cat-back the Dual Dual is very quiet compared to others. If it were me get a Hooker, Magnaflow, or Corsa. They sound sweet with header's. Corsa being the loudest.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As far as loud it is actually pretty loud. But I don't know how to describe it maybe raspy? But it really sounds like crap when you get on it. I just know for now i'm really dissapointed. I"m not goin with cats, cant afford 2 good cats and another Y-pipe
I dunno i'll run it for a little bit, fix the banging and the leaks and see how it sounds.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Welcome to the LS1 world. Redneck loud and rasp lol. Anyways yeah cats would clear that up.

ALSOOOOO you could try a 50 dollar spiral muffler from summitracing.com that would go on the Ipipe and reduce the rasp significantly if not completely. I know it's helped with mine. Cats are overrated anyways Good luck though bro
Old 11-26-2005, 05:38 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Do you know where it's leaking? From I pipe back it would
have to be a bad leak to really notice.
Leaking at header flanges is usually more of an annoying,
ticking kind of sound.
Also, out of curiosity, did you use the supplied (U) clamps
or use band clamps on the collectors/I pipe?
...and I agree with you on the emissions stuff. I was so
tired I actually tried to put the EGR tube on the AIR
pipe.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used mostly the dynomax band clamps but had to use the regualar clamps on a couple spots, mainly where the exit pipes come off the muffler. Might try the copper rtv method or i dunno even high temp jb weld. I don't really want to take the y pipe off to have it welded, i'd probably not get it back on LOL. Not too sure where the leak is yet, think little bit from the headers and where the 3" pipe goes into the muffler. I'l have to get it up on a stand and investigate more. But just regular stop light traffic up until like 2500 it sounds awesome.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

put some cheap spiral flows......what z28C4maro82z said. my friend had the same problem.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:35 PM
IMJ
TECH Enthusiast

you could also try a bullet muffler in the I-pipe or a borla xr1 muffler that should get rid of your rasp. as for the leaks if everything is set up the way you like it i would just get rid of all the band clamps and have the system welded.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

that y pipe is a pos and it has no merge on it .... it sounds like ***..

i thought the dual dual was supposed to sound ok though
Old 11-26-2005, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Might try the spiral flows. I did notice the TSP pipe was kind of shitty on the inside the could have gotten rid of the welds on the inside Although it does fit well. I only got it cause I heard every say good things about it.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i had the LM, the Dynomouth with a dynomax bullet, and i have got the Borlamouth. it has a Borla XR-1 muffler welded in place of the resonator. that was the best route for me. it knocked out all the rasp. it sounds deep now. it's alittle quiet at idle, but it is loud at WOT. sounds the best so far.