Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

98 tahoe elec timing disconect location

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 98 tahoe elec timing disconect location

hey guys..my brother in law has a 97 or 98 tahoe, cant remember exactly..its got the vortech 350 in it..the dam thing pings like crazy..all the time.im not talking pulling a hill or load..im talking just driving down the road trying to get up to speed...it pings soooo dang bad..i dont know how its not blown up yet..anyway i told him i would check the timing for him but im not sure where the electronic timing advance disconeect is..ive searched and searched and found that some of them are behind the pssgr side dash? where about? on my old tbi truck it was right on the firewall, but im sure its not there on this one..any help before i go get it and see if i can check it for him.. ill try cleaning the maf and tb as well while im at it..hes already done the whole fuel filter,pump, etc..thing..
thanks in advance
matt
Old 11-27-2005, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure about a 97/98, but the timing disconnect was right below the glove box on a 95 I worked on a couple of days ago. It was a tan/black wire right behind the bottom of the dash below the glove box. As I recall the Vortec engines use the crank trigger to set the timing don't they?
Old 11-27-2005, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

i couldnt tell you..ive never worked on one..so if that is the case then the distributor does not have an adjustment?
Old 11-27-2005, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

As I recall a buddies was doing the same thing, and adjusting the dist didn't do anything. I'll see if I can find out how he adjusted it.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ProStreetZ28
As I recall a buddies was doing the same thing, and adjusting the dist didn't do anything. I'll see if I can find out how he adjusted it.
if i remember right its by the heater box somewhere on the passenger side wheel well?
Old 11-29-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

there is no timing disconect for a 98 tahoe... timing is checked with a scan tool. It is called CMP retard. you need to hook up the scanner, start the engine and rev it up over 1k rpm. then see what the cmp reads. it should be + or - 2 degrees
Old 11-29-2005, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

damm...guess i wont be checking it..i havent even opened the hood on it, or even attempted to look at it prior to now. Guss he'll have to take it to a shop that has a tech II or whatever they are called..If the timing is not adjustable, i wouldnt think it would be out of range being there is no ses light being thrown..it just pings like crazy...driving down the road, even at like 45 and lightly get on the throttle..ping ping ping....i dont know what to tell him...

Quick Reply: 98 tahoe elec timing disconect location