Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B&M cooler and fittings leaking

Old 11-27-2005, 04:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default B&M cooler and fittings leaking

Has anyone had any trouble with leaks from were you screw in fittings on B&M coolers? I have the large fan mounted cooler and I can't get these fittings all the way on. I ordered them from Summit at the same time, and the guy sayed those were the right ones. They are half inch NPT.
I can't get them to screw in the way. There are about 2 threads left that didn't into the cooler, and I am using all the power I have and they aren't going anywhere. If feels as if they are almost rethreading the cooler, but when I pulled them out they seemed fine. They leak a good amount. I am thinking of just getting them welded on. Has anyone done that before? I will be going to a members house in a week or so to get my controll arm relocation brackets welded on, and I could ask if he could weld the fittings on the cooler as well. What do you guys think?
Why can't they just sell all cooler with fittings built into them.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you put some sealant on them? Either Permatex or Loctite thread sealer, or even teflon paste.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did not but I probably should of. I will give that a try. thanks
Old 11-28-2005, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Since they are NPT fittings it is normal that they won't thread all the way into mating fitting (i.e. you will see threads). NPT are tapered threads not straight threads. If you try to get them to thread all the way until no threads show you will more than likely bust the part you are threading into.

My B&M cooler had built in AN Fittings. If you have NPT threads you need to use some sort of thread sealant such as teflon tape or paste as mentioned. Just as a note; never use any type of thread sealant on AN fittings.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:24 PM
Teching In

I had the exact same concern when I did the "Race version" 28,000 B&M cooler on my Syclone. I'm with you, why they supply fittings with every cooler except this one, is beyond me.. But yeah, they kinda fit like **** and you think you're really jamming them in there. I got brass fittings from the hardware store that I mated to a set of 3/8 (?) barb fittings also from the hardware store, used teflon tape on the threads. At first I got some red stains on the white teflon tape. I snugged it up a bit further than I normally would (!) and all has been well since.

Josh
91 GMC Syclone
Old 11-28-2005, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I tryed to remove them and they are jammed in there tight. I even had a friend to help me and they didn't budge. I probably put them in too far. I guess nothing else to do but have them welded. That will guarantee me a leak free seal.

Search this Thread